Talk

Advanced search

How do you get prescribed clomid?

(8 Posts)
zippyswife Wed 06-May-15 08:41:25

I am ttc#3. I've conceived my previous dcs without assistance but this time seem to have a very short luteal phase. The gurus on Mumsnet have been very helpful and advised me that I need clomid to sort this.

I had a gp appointment regarding all this about 3 months ago. She sent for a blood tests and a scan which according to the scan-lady there were no obvious issues.

I have my next gp appointment to discuss this in an hour and I really want the outcome to be clomid!! Is that how it works or will I need to be referred to a fertility clinic first or have more tests? Or is she likely to say no as I have 2 dcs?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received? Just don't know what I should say/expect?

Thanks

RoseBud2015 Wed 06-May-15 09:05:00

Hi,

You have to be referred to a fertility clinic first by your GP. The clinic are likely to want you to do more blood tests and will also require sperm analysis samples to be done.

They will explore all possible explanations for the problems before prescribing clomid. It took me 4 months of tests before they would prescribe it to me!

My advise would be the quicker you get referred, the quicker you can get the ball rolling!

Good luck!

Number3cometome Wed 06-May-15 10:11:58

As it is number 3, the chances are they may not prescribe you Chlomid.

I was refused, despite having PCOS and not ovulating because I had previously spontaneously conceived.

That being said, I went away very upset and got my BFP the same month!

zippyswife Wed 06-May-15 10:24:18

Thanks for the replies.

rose you were bang on- they
referred me to fertility clinic today. She said they may not do many more tests as I've had bloods and scan. But I guess it's just waiting to see.

number congrats- bet you couldn't believe it!!! I'm hoping I'll get clomid to sort the luteal phase as I'll never get pg with a 7-8 day luteal phase. So keeping my fingers crossed.

RoseBud2015 Wed 06-May-15 10:28:43

Aww glad to hear they referred you! Just a case of waiting for that pesky appointment letter now!
If you know the clinic you have been referred to, my advice would be to phone them and ask how long their wait is to be "graded" and given an appointment. Then if you haven't got a letter by then, hassle them!

I didn't do this, and waited 12 weeks for an appointment letter to come through! Turns out they had lost my original referral from the GP! I was absolutely gutted after waiting so long!

zippyswife Wed 06-May-15 10:32:17

Ah no! How annoying! Yes gp said I'll get a letter within 1-2 weeks so I'll be phoning them if I haven't heard by then. She said they have to see me within 18 weeks. I assume already having dcs I'll be
Bottom of the pile which us fair enough.

How have you gotton on rose? Are you still on the clomid?

RoseBud2015 Wed 06-May-15 10:39:58

I'm due to start it for the first time once AF arrives! Excited and nervous all at once!
I am currently on norethisterone to force a bleed after not having AF for over 100 days..... 2 days to go hopefully!

I hope your referral letter arrives as quickly as the GP has suggested! It always feels better when things get moving! My one last piece of advice would be that when you do get your letter, if the appointment is months away there is always the option of phoning up each morning to try and get a cancellation- worked for me wink x

zippyswife Wed 06-May-15 11:23:04

Thanks for the advice- I'll do that.

Best of luck for you! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now