Talk

Advanced search

how long did you wait TTC after a ectopic?

(5 Posts)
Helloall1 Sun 03-May-15 08:03:45

Hello.

I had an emergency laparoscopy three weeks ago and was told I could TTC as soon as I felt well enough. I had a bleed whilst in hospital but not sure if this was a period or due to surgery etc.

Apart from a very small removal of left ovary, everything else is fine and I was told my fertility shoukd not be affected at all and that I should now be more fertile?!?!

My period before that was 5th March.

I've read up lots on this, just wondering if people have personal stories or advice to share?

Obviously we don't want to rush before I'm healed but want to start properly trying ASAP

Thank you x

Cariad2014 Sun 03-May-15 09:03:40

I had a laparoscopy and my right tube removed as a result of an ectopic last September and was told to wait two cycles. We only waited one cycle before ttc again but in reality I felt it took a good 6 or 7 weeks for me to feel myself again, so I reckon that first cycle was a bit wasted.

I think the main reason they tell you to wait 2 cycles is to give you time for emotional recovery and to allow your body time to heal after the operation.

Re: your first period after an ectopic, I've read that this differs from person to person but not to be surprised if it's lighter or heavier than usual. Mine was extremely heavy (think a super absorbent tampon filling completely every hour) but returned to normal the following cycle.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery, and I really hope your BFP and a sticky, healthy bean is just around the corner.

Cariad2014 Sun 03-May-15 09:10:29

P.s. Just to add that I counted the date of my op as CD1 even though I think the bleeding was op (as opposed to AF) based.

Helloall1 Sun 03-May-15 09:19:07

Thank you for replying and I'm sorry you had to go through this too.

I'm worried it might happen again but feel positive about trying again.

Good luck and health to us all x

Cariad2014 Sun 03-May-15 09:43:43

Hello - I think it's only natural to worry about the same thing happening again, but although you're at an increased risk of an ectopic once you've had one, the odds are still very much in favour of a healthy pregnancy next time around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now