"flush out the uterus" - what does this mean do you think?

(11 Posts)
quietlysuggests Tue 28-Apr-15 10:44:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SredniVashtarr Tue 28-Apr-15 11:11:41

Could it be some kind of progesterone to trigger a period? My friend is having to take this before starting clomid.

RoseBud2015 Tue 28-Apr-15 18:51:14

I think you are referring to Norethisterone. It: "contains a hormone which is similar to the hormone progestogen that is naturally produced by the body. It is used to treat a number of menstrual cycle disorders." (from NHS website)

I've started taking it today for 10 days before I start clomid. For me its to cause a bleed as I haven't had one in almost 100 days!
Hope that helps!

quietlysuggests Fri 01-May-15 02:11:30

RoseBud2015 Fri 01-May-15 18:47:00

Hmm that does sound rather odd! My understanding is that clomid is best taken on days 2-5 or 6 of your cycle. If you aren't having periods naturally, the only way to be sure you are taking the clomid on the best days is to cause your body to have a bleed first!
My GP refused to give it to me until I hadn't had AF for 6 months but my fertility clinic prescribed it at the same time as my clomid, to take first (after 3 months of no AF). I also have severe PCOS.

Lucy61 Fri 01-May-15 18:57:35

I value the nhs a LOT, but in my experience GPs aren't the best people to deal with fertility issues. I don't know why that is, but I can certainly say that the 3 docs I talked to at my surgery didn't seem to know where to begin and just kept saying its normal not to conceive for two yrs... It's normal to have miscarriages ... Just keep having sex every two to three days ..and so on. No mention of clomid or any other possible solution. Others might have different experiences and might be that my surgery is just not equipped /trained for this area.

Went to a private clinic and hey presto, diagnosis and a treatment.

If you can afford it, go private.

RockCrushesLizard Fri 01-May-15 19:05:09

Sorry to hijack, but while you're here lucy,
Could you give me a rough idea what your costs were for going private? Thanks

Lucy61 Fri 01-May-15 20:27:08

£170 for a consultation. confused I'm in the southeast.

Lucy61 Fri 01-May-15 20:36:35

The consultant prescribed clomid there and then but I had follicle tracking too at £400 for one cycle to make sure the drug worked and that I wasn't popping lots of eggs.

But before going to a private clinic, I had tests done on nhs after a lot of pushing. Eg blood tests to check hormone levels and ovulation, thyroid function, check for sti, scan womb/ovaries etc. If you have these privately, it's even more.

quietlysuggests Fri 01-May-15 20:41:54

Lucy61 Fri 01-May-15 20:49:21

Sometimes telling gps what you want directly is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now