PCOS Metformin

(11 Posts)
Ginfizz90 Sat 28-Mar-15 13:53:15

Just been diagnosed with pcos, my gp said metformin is a medication they do use however she won't give it to me because I am not overweight. Can I push for it anyway? I know lots of people that take it to manage pcos and aren't overweight

Tinkfromlovejoy Sat 28-Mar-15 17:18:04

I'm not overweight and have been prescribed metformin a few times. Tbh it just gave me the shits and I'm still ttc so can understand your gp's viewpoint. You could try and push for it but don't expect miracles.

AlpacaMyBags Sat 28-Mar-15 17:22:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rufus200 Sat 28-Mar-15 18:02:32

Inositol also has very positive results for PCOS. I take 1000mg twice a day. Can buy from loads of online sites. It is also safe to take through pregnancy.

examine.com/supplements/Inositol/#summary7-0

Ginfizz90 Sat 28-Mar-15 19:17:46

Just ordered some rufus!! Have you used it??

Rufus200 Sat 28-Mar-15 21:01:10

I've been using since Dec, I'm currently on cycle 3 and in my 2 week wait. It has reduced my symptoms and massively has speed up my metabolism! I love the stuff and will continue using it when I get my BFP.

JKSLtd Sat 28-Mar-15 21:08:25

I had metformin and was not overweight.
I got pg with Ds1 (now 7) in a matter of weeks.
And didn't need any help afterwards to get pg with ds2 or dd smile

I carried on taking it until 12 weeks as I'd read it helps reduce the risk of mc.

Ginfizz90 Sat 28-Mar-15 21:13:13

I have heard great things about it rufus!! Can't wait to give it a try!! I just want my first bloody period to come after stopping the pill it's torturous!

Queenofknickers Sat 28-Mar-15 22:52:03

Yes, it's helpful for other symptoms and importantly has been shown to decrease the risk those of us with pcos have of developing diabetes in later life. Might make you queasy - ask for the coated/slow release ones.

Queenofknickers Sat 28-Mar-15 22:53:59

If you are ttc I also got BFP after one cycle with metformin after 2 years of (unsuccessful) fertility treatment. He's 11 now smile

missjcookie Mon 18-May-15 08:03:49

Hi, I also am trying TTC no.2. Been diagnosed with PCOS for 7/8 years. This is my first 2 weeks of 1500mg. Not many adverse side effects. We've been trying for little over a year now and I am hoping for my BFP soon, but I feel as if I will never get it!
Very re-assuring that lots have conceived within a few weeks, so I'm feeling positive. It's only really the lack of periods & cysts on the ovaries that I suffer with and don't have any other symptons.
Baby dust to you!!

I'm very intrigued about the Inositol?

Has anyone had their BFP yet?

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now