Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

What happens next?

(4 Posts)
Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 14-Feb-15 17:30:22

After 12 months of ttc we've had one mmc and nothing else. My gynaecologist said that if we had no luck after a year of trying we should go back to him for further advice. So here we are, one year later.
What should we expect? I have no idea what happens next, can anyone advise what the next steps might be??

Fuzzyduck21 Tue 17-Feb-15 17:42:45

I went through something similar but i knew I was not ovulating. It was incredibly frustrating as the docs made me wait a year before referring me to the fertility department in the hospital.

I had a blood test done to check my hormones and confirm I wasn't ovulating. Then I was sent for a Hycosy to check my tubes and have a look at my ovaries. Tubes were all clear thankfully but the ovaries were enlarged with little cysts. Although this wasn't full blown PCOS it was a variant.

At my next fertility appointment I was finally prescribed provera to give me a period and then clomid.

I'm happy to say after the first round of clomid I am nearly 9 weeks pregnant smile

The whole process from referral to clomid prescription was around 4 months.

Good luck to you! smile

Me624 Tue 17-Feb-15 18:15:59

Hi op, I am at a similar stage to you having been ttc for just under a year with no nothing.

DH and I had our first appointment a few weeks ago. The doctor told us that as I am only just 28 my local trust's policy is we need to be ttc for 18 months before any real investigations will be started. However he did order a sperm test for DH and blood tests for me (a general one to check blood sugar levels etc and 21 day bloods to check if I have ovulated).

Dh's sperm test was fine and I have just had the results of my 21 day bloods (fine, show I have ovulated). My general blood test showed that I am very anaemic so I am now on iron supplements and have to be retested in a month or so.

As nothing abnormal has shown up in the tests (and the anaemia could well be what is causing the problem), we are to keep trying for another 6 months while my iron levels are monitored and go back if we still have no luck.

Best of luck with your first appointment.

Picklesauage Tue 17-Feb-15 18:25:53

I have been down this route a couple of times. Like PP said, you have to be trying 18 months in my area. However my GP gave us a 'programme' to try! She has known us for a loonnnggg time!

She said we had to have sex every other day that I didn't bleed and if possible 3 says in a row when ovulating. (I had temp tracked so I knew which day I ovulated). She also suggested a sperm friendly lubricant (we used preseed). This programme worked for us 3 times! I was told I could never get pregnant naturally, but this optimised our chances.

First time it took us 19 months to conceive. We had appointment to go see a Gyn lined up and everything.

Second time it took 14 months and ended in 11week miscarriage.

Third time it took 10 months. I am currently 21weeks pregnant.

I should say I have suggested this 'programme' to others TTC and they have had much faster success as they are much more normal (in fertility terms) than I am.

Please feel free to pm me if you want. No question too personal, we have had and done some extraordinary things TTC!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: