Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

did you/have you cut out/down caffeine?

(10 Posts)
Autumn2014 Mon 09-Feb-15 11:28:43

I don't drink alcohol, or smoke but I love my cups of tea! At least 2 in the morning to get me going and another 2 cups throughout the day. I drink water with my meals and a fruit tea in the evening so it's not all caffeine drinks. I don't drink diet drinks or fizzy pop.
I was reading about how you should limit caffeine and that includes chocolate too. Do you know if it's only important once you are pregnant, or whilst your are TTC, or just in the TWW? I could probably make it a bit of weaker brew would that help?

PeasinPod1 Mon 09-Feb-15 12:17:10

Autumn- if your cuppas make you happy I think giving them up would be more harmful (in stress?!) than carrying on drinking! Think this applies- when TTC to more the heavy coffee drinkers, I start day with a 2 shot latte so gave these up the month we conceived, could be pure coincidence!

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/limit-caffeine-during-pregnancy.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216

are guidelines while preg- but your tea would not be an issue, I still had 1 weak coffee a day as well as several cuppas-but swapped my diet cokes to caffeine free just to keep it down

Autumn2014 Mon 09-Feb-15 16:13:30

thanks for the link PP1

lemon101 Mon 09-Feb-15 16:32:26

Hey Autumn,

try the Yorkshire tea decaff teabags - you genuinely can't notice the difference! I used to drink loads of caffeinated coffee and tea and have switched out to decaf options and been fine - barely noticed. I DO have a strong cup of coffee first thing though, or like you I wouldn't be able to function!

MrsGingerbread Mon 09-Feb-15 16:36:17

Yes, I have switched to decaff Tetley tea and Diet Coke. I really don't notice the difference (and that leaves lots of caffeine left for chocolate munching! smile

ValancyJane Mon 09-Feb-15 16:54:24

Yep - I have a cup of coffee in the morning to get me going, and then a cup of tea in the afternoon (before that it was about three during the day). Have made a conscious effort to drink more water, but find it quite boring - so have switched to decaf teas. Another vote for Yorkshire Tea decaf here, and decaf Earl Grey is lovely too smile

Autumn2014 Mon 09-Feb-15 17:52:09

thanks for the recommendations for Yorkshire decaf

Teakind Mon 09-Feb-15 18:54:04

I second the Yorkshire decaf option. Its definitely the best decaf version I have tried.

I've cut down from about 8 caffeinated cups a day to 2. Im not sure about it's effect on ttc but I think it's helped my bladder!

Artistic Mon 09-Feb-15 22:15:43

I was a total coffee addict until the time I found myself pregnant. So actually didn't (couldn't!) cut down of coffees while TTC. I had terrible nausea in the first trimester & the smell of coffee was revolting. So much so that I couldn't even step into a Costa or Starbucks! Overnight I had to switch off coffee (but had a bit of withdrawal symptoms/headaches)...then I started having tea with ginger in it. Tried my best to stick to 2 cups a day. Decaf never worked for me but green tea did - if I ever craved for an extra hot drink. DD is now 4 months & I haven't gone back to coffee yet..I find that my sleep is rather fragmented & too much caffeine doesn't let me drop off to sleep after early morning feeds.

I'd suggest you don't worry about the caffeine but rather just gradually reduce your reliance of caffeine by having other hot drinks as PP have suggested. I don't think it interferes with TTC at all!

mrsgooglemad Thu 12-Feb-15 19:45:11

Diet coke still contains caffeine.x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: