Talk

Advanced search

Please help, wise ladies of mumsnet!

(3 Posts)
skitterscatter Wed 04-Feb-15 09:52:35

Newbie here, so please be gentle... smile

I'm 40 and trying for my first baby. For the past three years my cycles have always been 27-28 days, with a 5 day, fairly steady-flow period but for the last couple of months my body has gone completely whacko. Last month's cycle was 34 days. I took a pregnancy test on CD33 that month but it was negative. Anyway, then followed a really short (3 day) period - light first day, very heavy second day, very light on third (sorry if TMI!). I'm on CD34 again today and no period.

I've got some weird stuff going on in my body that I've never noticed before with my periods - dizziness, and some nausea on and off at different times of day for the past couple of weeks, plus this week I've had weird...not cramps but something going on downstairs, and sore boobs... In addition to that, I'm suddenly waking up in the night to pee so actually there's not been a time where I've gone more than five hours without peeing for me to test (again, sorry if TMI!). That said, I've tested first thing in the morning on CD30 and today and negative both times.

So, I know I can't actually be pregnant and that I'm probably noticing this stuff because I'm more 'in tune' to my body but I guess my question is, is this 'normal' PMS stuff (for two weeks!) that I've never had/noticed before, or am I possibly looking at menopause/peri-menopause here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me flowers

AnnieHoo Wed 04-Feb-15 15:48:10

Hi Scatter

I think it's normal for your cycles to be longer in your late 30's early 40s. This happened to me mid-30's. It's also normal for your period to be shorter.

How long have you been trying?

Have you had any tests done? If not, the best thing for you to do would be to phone up the GP and make an appointment to have your hormone levels checked. That is the first stage so you know that all is OK to keep ttc. It may be that your hormones levels are low and you need a boost or that you need to be referred for fertility treatment.

Investigations can take months and months and before you know it you're 41. That's what happened to me.

Definitely go and see your GP so you'll have something to base the next move on.

I see you've joined the over 40's thread so that's a good move! smile

HS26 Wed 04-Feb-15 19:37:08

Hi, Scatter, I don't have any answers for you medically, but I thought it might help you to know I've been experiencing weird stuff too since starting ttc.

The first month, my period was 5 days late followed by a much heavier/more painful period. This had NEVER happened before. I suspect it could have been a very very early miscarriage but don't know for sure.

Since then, my periods have just been odd. Same number of days (26 day cycle) but much more painful before and during. No idea what's been going on.

All this to say that I hear you, and maybe something like this happened to you that first month your period came later. Just a thought ...

I agree with Annie though that you should follow this up with your GP and get checked out. I'm going to do the same!

Let us know how you go over on the 40+ trying for first thread!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: