Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC number 2 with PCOS- can I get NHS help?

(20 Posts)
Allstoppedup Sun 25-Jan-15 21:57:17

I don't really have any periods at all (maybe one/two a year)

I think that I ovulate as I occasionally have PMS symptoms and was very surprised when we unintentionally managed to conceive DS who is now 13months (I had been advised I would not be able to conceive naturally)

We are now trying for DC2 but I am unsure if we would be eligible for anything like Clomid on the NHS as we already have a DC.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice.

Allstoppedup Sun 25-Jan-15 22:11:41

Anyone?

Edenviolet Sun 25-Jan-15 22:39:40

I think you can check the criteria online somewhere for your area. Most will not provide treatment if you already Have a child but it is worth checking.

Good luck

Allstoppedup Sun 25-Jan-15 23:25:38

Thank you waiting I assumed not but wasn't sure given my PCOS and if that was a factor! I can't seem to find a definitive answer, some yes, some no!

I will make an appointment with my GP and see where we stand. DS unknowingly took 3 years and we've been dtd unprotected since DS was born knowing it could take a while!

Here's hoping it will happen for us all !

Vijac Mon 26-Jan-15 09:42:50

Have you tried taking your temperature and working out when you're ovulating? I guess it may not be helpful if you're very irregular but it may help you understand your cycle.

Metalhead Mon 26-Jan-15 10:33:31

You should be entitled to have investigations like blood tests, ultrasounds etc. (we've just had the full shebang, unfortunately we're unexplained). I think you can also get Clomid on the NHS, but no IVF, IUI or any other assisted reproduction methods if you've already got a child.

Number3cometome Mon 26-Jan-15 13:06:13

I had this issue - I was allowed the tests and ultrasounds but was not entitled to Chlomid or any IVF/IUI treatment.

They said if my partner had a low sperm count then I could, but I fell pregnant naturally.

Try and do everything you can to limit your PCOS symptoms as that has a massive impact - diet (particularly a paleo or reduced cab diet) excercise and moderate stress. Don't smoke and limit alcohol.

All these things can make a massive difference to fertility.

If you BMI is over 26 your doc may prescribe Metformin which can help.

I was told my left ovary was completely cystic and persistently did not ovulate, yet I have 2 children now and I am 15 weeks pregnant.

It can happen, and especially with PCOS I don't think anyone should have told you that alone is a reason you won't be able to conceive.

On my early pregnancy scan I was advised that all of my left side cysts had gone and I had a new cyst on the right hand side - things change.

Best of luck and never give up hope x

Bovnydazzler Mon 26-Jan-15 13:09:30

Yes you should. I am currently on clomid trying for my second child. I also wasn't made to wait a year (I'm 30), my GP just referred me on the basis of very long cycles. I'm in NW England. My gynocologist said they fund clomid and the preliminary tests (sperm analysis, HSG, bloods, I had to have them also despite it being likely it was an ovulation issue, but nhs wouldn't find anything after the clomid. I'm crossing fingers cycle 3 clomid works for me!
Good luck with GP.

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 13:13:26

Thank you all very much! I certainly wasn't expecting and IVF assistance but was unsure about medication to assist slightly more regular ovulation! Sounds like it really depends!

My BMI is fine (I'm a size 8!) I outwardly have no symptoms of PCOS apart from the lack of periods (I used to have pain as well but that has not happened for years!) During my pregnancy I was advised one ovary was very cystic, I had an ovarian cyst rupture about 7 years ago and I think there is some scarring but the other had apparently improved from my first scan to my next!

I do have the odd drink but generally only one/two glasses maybe once a week. I have a daily coffee but have some decaf left over from when I was pregnant with DS!

Having said all of that...

I almost can't believe I'm posting this but this morning I've had two very faint BFPs!!

Waiting to test again in the morning but a little in shock!

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 13:15:21

Ooh sorry Bov didn't see your post before I started mine!

Fingers crossed for you and cycle 3!

Good luck to all of us!

Vijac Mon 26-Jan-15 13:40:24

Ooh exciting! Congrats!

Number3cometome Mon 26-Jan-15 13:43:48

OMG!!! that is amazing!!!

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 13:47:49

Thank you all!

I'm a little nervous and shocked. Lots could still happen as I think it's very early days but as they say...a line is a line! grin

replaces POAS habit with obsessive knickers checking habit

Number3cometome Mon 26-Jan-15 14:11:31

Hahaha!! At about 12 weeks the knicker checking changes to bump checking habit!

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 14:14:32

Ahh yes! I was so horribly anxious for the first 12 weeks with DS- in a way my HG was a, welcome (?) distraction!

...After the bump checking comes the wiggle checking- then when they are finally here, the obsessive breathing checking usually whilst you should be sleeping because they are!

Number3cometome Mon 26-Jan-15 14:18:19

I still obsessively breathe-check DS is 12, DD is 7

grin

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 14:24:01

grin

Hahaha!

For what it's worth, I'm 28 and I'm willing to bet my mum would be all for using a video moniter and breathing alarm on me if she could!

Number3cometome Mon 26-Jan-15 14:27:06

hahaha! stop i'm laughing at my desk!!!

Edenviolet Mon 26-Jan-15 17:15:20

Wonderful news! flowers

Allstoppedup Mon 26-Jan-15 17:21:40

Thank you waiting!

3 tests in today as I still can't quite believe it! Can't wait for DP to get home! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: