Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC 14 months and only a few periods

(15 Posts)
Beckygrace1992 Sun 25-Jan-15 11:03:47

Hi all I'm new to this but didn't know if there was anyone going through the same problem, I was on the pill for 6 years and came off 14 months ago. Since coming off I have only had 5 periods. I went to the doctors after 6 months and they said that it was my body getting used to coming off the pill. However I think this isn't the case now as I've never had normal periods before taking the pill. I'm a complete worrier and get so nervous going to the doctors. The nurse I saw about 7 months ago wasn't very nice and very judgmental as I think she thought I was to young to have a baby. But i have been with my partner for 7 years and we both have good jobs and a mortgage but she didn't bother to ask why I thought it was the right time for me she just judged me. And I left the doctors and cried when I got in the car !! So I know I should go back but I just dread it.

I maybe reading too much into it but I think I may have PCO as I have a few of the symptoms. Can anyone offer me some advice please smile
Xx

Glindathegoodwitch Sun 25-Jan-15 14:27:01

Hi,

Get a new doctor and a second opinions. Tell them that you want investigations as to why you're periods are so rare. It's only a little blood tests and rare periods/non ovulating/rare ovulating are one of the easiest fertility issues to treat!

Beckygrace1992 Sun 25-Jan-15 17:12:55

Thank you, I'm going to book an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow so hopefully they will book a blood test smile I'm due on in about a week hopefully if I even come on this month as I can never gurentee it ! I've heard they have to to the test when your on your period ? But don't know if this is correct

oneyorkshirepud Sun 25-Jan-15 17:44:11

Oh no Becky, that's horrible that the nurse was mean to you. Maybe write down some things you want to say to the doctor incase you get nervous. Good luck! !

Beckygrace1992 Sun 25-Jan-15 17:55:49

Yeah I'm taking my mum in law for some back up hehe just encase I don't get the outcome I'm looking for ! I've also brought some ovulation test ? Has anyone found them helpful ? And ordered a thermometer to measure my temperate to see if this helps! Is there anything I can do at home to help encourage me to come on?

Beckygrace1992 Mon 26-Jan-15 11:42:39

Been to the doctors and he was really nice he have booked me in for blood tests and a scan! Has anyone had one of these scans before ?

oneyorkshirepud Mon 26-Jan-15 21:07:31

Ah good, I'm glad you had someone more understanding this time!

Glindathegoodwitch Wed 28-Jan-15 09:39:04

Hi Becky - sorry I've taken so long to respond! Yes, they do like to do the LH & FSH blood tests while you're on your period, that's when they get the best results. I have had a scan also - they will mostly be checking for PCOS as that is a double ended test (bloods and scan)

I have been using OPK's for 5 months, and for the very first time this month I had a positive reading. I don't rate them. Also my GP, who is an ex-gynae recently attended a fertility seminar and apparently the fertility professionals around the world say they are a waste of time, and not worth the pee that we pee on them! Lol. Doesn't stop me using them out of desperation (I should add that I know I have ovulation problems so maybe why they don't work very well for me.)

I think the best advice I could give to anyone - is eat well.. lots of nutritious foods. Kale, salmon, berries - lots of other things which are classed as fertility super foods, keep the alcohol intake down & enjoy having sex. I also take fertility vitamins which contain all my folic acid and B6.

Beckygrace1992 Wed 28-Jan-15 10:14:53

Hi Glinda thank you again ! Yeah I have brought some opk's and waiting to use them if I do have a period this month! However I don't think they will work for me either, and I've been taking folic acid daily for about a month. The doctor booked my blood test for Friday but I'm not on my period do you think this will make much difference ?

Glindathegoodwitch Wed 28-Jan-15 10:19:43

I have also had them done when not on my period and had 'normal' results but that is because I was on CD70 something and could never predict when my period would come. Do you have a regular cycle? I am sure if the GP is happy to test you then, he knows that you may/may not be on your period. I hope they do turn out well for you smile

Beckygrace1992 Wed 28-Jan-15 11:29:03

No my periods are all over the place and all different lengths in 14 months I've had 5 periods and one of them was because I was coming off the pill ! Every month though I get the pains that means one is coming but they never come ! What is the scan like ? I'm such a worrier!!

Glindathegoodwitch Wed 28-Jan-15 11:33:49

Sorry, I completely overlooked your first comment as you said you were due AF soon? How do you know that? Is it through ovulation tracking?

Ah it's nothing to worry about, just a little jelly on your tummy with a scanner - much like a pregnancy progress scan which seems so cruel!! You'll be in and out of there in less than 5 minutes smile

Beckygrace1992 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:41:00

Using a app that estimates so it's never correct but it's only normally a few days to a week late lol so it could be on later than that but I don't think much later as was on 28th December last ! Ok I've had one of them before for something else so that's good, I thought they had to do like an internal one so was panicking blush how long have you been ttc ?

Glindathegoodwitch Fri 30-Jan-15 09:03:47

Ah ok, so you are definitely due AF soon if you are not pg then. I wouldn't have thought so, not immediately.

I have been actually ttc for 5 months but my cycles are very bad, maybe only 3 a year. I have wanted to start for about 15 months now but couldn't for a separate reason. Feels a long time, but am just trying to take each month as a learning curve!

Beckygrace1992 Fri 30-Jan-15 09:38:39

Yeah I know it's horrible waiting when you want something so bad !! We will get there eventually I'm just taking each month as it comes and trying to stay positive! It just seems like every one is having babies around me and it's really getting me down ! And I don't want to stress as it will make it worse

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: