Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Positive pregnancy test now negative??

(11 Posts)
Mumtobe26 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:06:37

Hello!

I hope you can all help and offer some advice?!!

I know it's stupidly early, but I took a pg test last night (6dpo) and it came up with a faint positive (see image). I retook the test this morning and it was negative? Was the first just a mistake? I'm really confused? Or is it just too early?

Any thoughts would be great!

xx

seaoflove Sun 18-Jan-15 16:15:09

I would be amazed that it was possible to get a positive at 6dpo, let alone at 6dpo in the evening. I know they say you can't get a false positive, but 6dpo is virtually impossible.

Leave it a few more days and test again with FMU smile

Mumtobe26 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:20:59

Hi Seaoflove!

Yes I agree, I had read that too about 6dpo I just couldn't wait! The thing is I took an ovulation test everyday all month and got consistant negatives until the 11th jan when we got a positive, then yesterday I think i had some spotting and cramps and all week I've been an emotional mess which is how i felt when i pregnant with my daughter. Also when i took that test that faint line came up within 30 seconds..?

I know it's so early but that's why i'm confused?! Do you think the one from last night is wrong? Or possibly I ovulated earlier than the test said? Or could it be twins?! oh gosh..

Sorry for all the questions!! xx

babymouse Sun 18-Jan-15 16:24:23

How long did you wait to read the first test? It's possible to get a faint 'positive' if you read it late. This would happen occasionally when I worked in a family planning clinic and we'd retest and get the negative. Wait to retest - I hope you get the result you are looking for! thanks

babymouse Sun 18-Jan-15 16:26:35

Double post.

Retest tomorrow. If a faint positive came up that quickly you should retest as positive again.

Mumtobe26 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:27:41

Hi babymouse - the line came appeared in under 30 seconds? I did another one last night and the same thing happened but today it was negative? If it had appeared later I would have agreed it was probably wrong but that's what threw me - i genuinely was expecting it to be negative?!

babymouse Sun 18-Jan-15 16:29:16

But it may be better for your nerves if you wait a bit longer for your next test

Mumtobe26 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:32:12

haha very true babymouse! Think I'm just too excited!!

Showy Sun 18-Jan-15 16:33:29

If you're testing very early then this can happen. Sometimes because the hormone levels are so low that the dilution of the urine can make a real difference. Sometimes because there can be slight variation in sensitivity between tests even in the same batch. Sometimes because you are experiencing a chemical pregnancy. Sometimes due to user error. There are lots of variables which make early testing tricky.

You don't know when you ovulated because ov tests detect only a hormone surge which may precede ovulation. Sometimes you can miss this surge entirely and test negative all month but you still ovulate. It's entirely possible that you're nearer 10/11dpo (the time I got such faint positives) but really there's no way of knowing.

All you can do is wait a few days and test again. Good luck!

babymouse Sun 18-Jan-15 16:33:47

Honestly if I saw something like that in a clinic I would have told the woman she was pregnant and calculated the due date, etc. generally if it is positive the line comes up fairly quickly. Best of luck to you thanks

Mumtobe26 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:39:54

Ah thanks guys, i appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about it! I think my husband thinks i've gone a bit mad!

Thanks for your comments Showy, I agree with what you are saying. I've never used an ovulation kit before so I don't really understand the in's and outs of them, I just kept looking for the smiley face! But I could have ovulated earlier like you say..

Think I'm just going to have to sit tight and wait a few more days like you say! xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: