Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Pregnancy test after miscarriage

(10 Posts)
Lilymog Thu 15-Jan-15 08:29:11

So I have just taken the obligatory pregnancy test after my miscarriage 3 weeks ago. I know it was going to be negative but just seeing that result on the stick has made me feel so sad again.

NatalieBee Thu 15-Jan-15 13:28:44

Didn't want to read and run! It's heartbreaking seeing it change, I'll never forget the moment mine did! Make sure and take some time to yourself, sending lots of hugs thanksbrew

allchatnicknamesgone Thu 15-Jan-15 18:18:40

It's shit. I never tested again because it was early and I just knew and could face sitting there waiting for a result. flowers

swmum24 Mon 19-Jan-15 00:13:51

I miscarried three days ago, I didn't know you had to take another pregnancy test. Why's that? Bloody hell, as if we need reminding.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Mon 19-Jan-15 06:32:25

Taking a repeat test is to make sure your hormones have gone down. If your body still thinks it's pregnant, it could be evidence that the pregnancy hasn't completely passed. It's also necessary if you want to try again quickly to avoid the uncertainty of getting a quick positive and being unsure if it's a new pregnancy or not.

So sorry for your loss op and it's normal to feel like that. I guess the good news is that it means your miscarriage is completely over which is far better than it being prolonged.
Be kind to yourself. Allow yourself to grieve. thanks thanks for you.

DulcetMoans Mon 19-Jan-15 07:04:14

So sorry lilymog, it does seen counter productive to be waiting for a BFN but it does mean you can start again whenever you are ready, if that's what you want. Take your time though and be kind to yourself.

SingRingPing Mon 19-Jan-15 08:07:07

It is heart breaking but trying to find a silver lining - when I did mine it came back positive and I had to go in for an op that day as I obviously hadn't passed everything. After waiting and dreading doing the test it was a real kick in the teeth to realise this wasn't 'over'.
As horrible as it is you will know that your body is in recovery.
Take care thanks

Lilymog Mon 19-Jan-15 16:53:41

Thank you everyone, it was just a bit of a kick in the teeth and hit me much harder than I thought it would. And now to top it all it looks like my period is starting today, that's only about 10 days after I stopped bleeding from the miscarriage. I was using the ovulation sticks last week and I wasn't ovulating- I really thought I might, everyone said I might be more fertile straight afterwards. So yet another couple of weeks to wait till the optimum moment! Time cannot go quickly enough

allchatnicknamesgone Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:18

Lots of women have an anovulatory cycle straight after MC, so as hard as it is, be relieved that the time between mc bleed and AF is quite short. The increased fertility can last for a few months though so don't worry (I think more women catch it on the 2nd cycle after mc). Good luck for your next one.

CakeLab Mon 19-Jan-15 17:32:38

Hi Lilymog. I don't usually post on here but what you said really resonated with me. I miscarried last week, only at 5 weeks so very early and uncomplicated, and the scan and blood test today confirmed everything we suspected but it hit me harder than I thought it would. Worst bit was the EPAU midwife just saying the tests confirmed I'm 'not pregnant', which felt a bit like they were questioning whether I ever was, and there was no advice or reassurance about ttc-ing again. Really feeling for you all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: