Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Timing sex during fertile window

(3 Posts)
Focusfocus Tue 13-Jan-15 06:30:44

Hello wise MNers!

We will TTC for the first time this week (nervous!)

I've been cycle tracking for six years now for contraception and am disgustingly familiar with my bodily juices, and can always tell exactly when I ovulate. I am after a bit of advice on timing BD in this week.

So, today 13th Jan is CD 9. I am due to ovulate on Sunday 18th Jan or Monday 19th Jan which will be CD 15. I do have a couple of exceptional months each year when I ovulate on CD 12 or 13 (last month for example) but it has never in my life been before 12 or after 15.

So my question is - which days should we BD from today (CD9) to Monday (CD15)? Will sex daily ruin sperm count and should it be every other day? Any particular positions you recommend?

Thanks!!

siblingrevelryagain Tue 13-Jan-15 06:36:54

Sex every night for 5 nights from day 8, then alternate nights worked for me 4 times. Google 'sperm meets egg plan'-pretty much guarantees to get the sperm and egg to meet each time (think it's then 1 in 4 chance it will fertilise). You may need to tweak for your calendar.

Good luck x

lemon101 Tue 13-Jan-15 07:48:00

Hello!
If you try and do the deed the 2days before ovulation and also the day of ovulation you will be giving yourself a great chance. There is some evidence of slightly reduced sperm 'load' if you bd every day but it doesn't necessarily translate to fertility (actually his sperm has more duds in if you haven't done the deed for 5+ days). There will be less sperm but it will be fresher!

I've been TTC for a few months now and I guess if I have a piece of advice it is not to get too stressed if you or your partner can't do it because you are ill or something. For whatever reason you might not strike it lucky first time and you might be repeating the process for a few months. Relax and enjoy yourself! Also (on the scientific side) there is evidence to suggest lower ejaculate in pressurized TTC sex. Relaxing and enjoying it will pay off on many levels (I did not get this right in the first few months).

No position recommendations other than what floats your boat! But if you can orgasm, get him to make you come AFTER he has come. There is a theory that the female orgasm is there not just because it's awesome (surprisingly!) but actually because it helps move sperm super fast to the egg location. Top tip! But don't stress if you can't orgasm as your vagina contracts with micro pulses anyway and shushes the sperm up all by itself.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: