Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Newbie to this ttc lark, any tips for me?

(5 Posts)
RhiannonElward Sat 10-Jan-15 01:41:38

Hi there ladies, I'm ttc my third baby. I conceived my other two without having to work at it, but this time around we don't want to wait too much longer. So, I need to get technical. Is there any kind and experienced people willing to teach me the basics? All this temping and ovulation testing is confusing and I could do with a real life view of what I really need to be doing. I'd be very grateful for any tips on the best testing kits or any advice at all really. Thanks in advance smile

TakesTwoToTango Wed 14-Jan-15 12:09:46

Rhiannon, just noticed no one had replied! Hopefully you will have got info elsewhere already but in case not, temping is done at the same time every morning immediately on waking (before you move too much/get out of bed and change your body temp). If you do it daily you should see a slight dip before you ovulate, followed by a temperature rise post-ovulation which then falls again when you get your next period. The temp rise helps to confirm that you have actually ovulated (and when you get to know your cycle you may also spot the dip that indicates that it is about to happen) and as you approach the end o the cycle, if you see a drop you will know that AF is on its way. If you are pg then your temperature will stay high.

Ovulation predictor sticks, like the clear blue smiley face ones, detect a surge in the hormone that triggers ovulation (the LH surge). so if you get a smiley face you know that you are likely to ovulate within the next two days.

Do both together and you can get a pretty accurate picture of when you are about to ovulate, when you have ovulated and whether or not you are pg.

Good luck!

RhiannonElward Wed 14-Jan-15 12:25:44

Thanks so much! I have been trying to work this stuff out but I'm new to all the mumsnet lingo so it's a bit like deciphering code haha. I might give this a go if this month's regular every other day or so method doesn't work, but I am terribly disorganised and will most likely forget to do things at the right time. I wish I knew when I was ovulating though, it'd really help smile

cantbelieveimdoingthisagain Wed 14-Jan-15 13:36:10

Hi Rhiannon,

As disgusting delightful as it sounds, have you tried monitoring your cervical mucus? I find it very helpful to pinpoint ovulation!

Lweji Wed 14-Jan-15 13:51:54

I'd second the cervical mucous, the egg white stuff that comes about a few days to a week after the period. Not only it is a good indicator, but its presence is supposed to help the sperm cells.
Don't bother during the last week before your period due date. That time is supposed to be safe for contraception, so if you do it, it's only for recreational purposes.

It may also help not to get up immediately after sex, as the sperm may come out. It may help to stay in a horizontal position for a while to allow the little sperm cells to enter the cervix.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: