Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I take Norethisterone?

(5 Posts)
eskimolaura Thu 08-Jan-15 22:27:25

I'm new to all of this and really need some advice, please, if anyone can give it! I took my last packet of contraceptive pills in October (Loestrin 20) and had my withdrawal bleed sometime during November and since then, I've had nothing- no af whatsoever. I'm a worrier and have been on the pill for many years, since I was 17 (I'm now 32) and I have no idea what my 'regular' cycle is, nor if I ever really had one before I went on it.

So last Saturday, I started to get some very mild pains and thought it might be the start of af. I also had some tiny, tiny spots of blood in my knickers, but nothing else came of it. Still feeling a bit 'funny', I thought I may have got a UTI, so I went to the doctors earlier today with a urine sample.

My GP listened to everything, and said that my urine was normal but that he wanted to do some blood tests to check other things. So he has prescribed me Norethisterone and said that it will provoke a bleed after 10 days of taking it three times a day. On the fifth day of the bleed, I have to make an appointment to go in and get some blood tests done. These will hopefully show if certain things are wrong. It may also help to 'kickstart' my monthly cycle, although there is no certainty of this actually happening.

My question is this: Should I take the pills, or wait, possibly in vain for my af to come back. As far as I can tell, I don't have anything to lose by taking it, unless I am already pregnant, as you can't take it if you are, but I have done a few tests and keep getting the bfn, so I don't think I need to worry about that. I kind of want to wait for my body to make its own mind up and start naturally, but I am also worried that it won't, because I can never remember actually having a cycle and have never had a break from the pill during the 15 or more years that I took it.

I don't want to look back in a year and wish that I'd done something more proactive, but equally, I don't want to panic unnecessarily as it's 'only' been around 2 months since the withdrawal bleed.

Has anyone any experience of this and / or taking Norethisterone, and if so, can you offer any advice? Any stories would be very gratefully received.

Moomin37 Fri 09-Jan-15 06:39:39

Hello Eskimo as someone who is in the same position but in CD184 with no sign of AF, I would go for it smile My GP isn't very helpful at all and keeps fobbing me off, so we're having to go private (plus need to looking into changing surgeries). Sorry this is a bit rushed as need to get ready for work! No doubt others will be along later with further comments smile

BumWad Fri 09-Jan-15 08:25:42

I would take it.

I have taken northisterone before and it did wonders for my cycle. It seemed to reset them and make them regular. Prepare for a very heavy cramps bleed though!

BumWad Fri 09-Jan-15 08:26:09

*crampy

eskimolaura Fri 09-Jan-15 16:08:09

Thank you for the replies, I took the first two pills today, so fingers crossed it will kick start something, or at least if it doesn't, the doctor's will be able to do some tests.

Moomin- That's so frustrating that you are having to do that. TBH, I was expecting my GP to be the same, as it really hasn't been long for me, but I suppose the fact that I can never remember really having a cycle, let alone a regular one must have triggered a quick response.

Bumwad- I will stock up on the nappies! wink

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now