Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Negative Test, Can it be Wrong?

(25 Posts)
RhiannonElward Thu 08-Jan-15 00:32:47

Hi there, I could really do with some advice. I'm trying for a baby (number 3) with my oh. My period was a week late this month and was not normal. I am usually heavy and they last 5 days, this month I bled lightly pinkish then red, then brown(with cramps) for about 36 hours. The whole thing just felt totally different and weird. I was convinced I was pregnant and it's implantation bleeding or something. So, I did a test this afternoon (about 12 hours after the bleeding stopped) and it's come up negative. Do I need to get over it and move on or do you see any grounds for a retest in a few days? I know there's not really any reason not to retest, but these tests aren't wrong often, are they? I look at the result and I can see it in front of me, but my instinct is telling me different. Am I being a crazy person? Feel free to say yes, I'm not sensitive!

dizzylemon Thu 08-Jan-15 12:26:19

You may just need to test again later or you have a late period for some other reason or at random, which can happen.

RhiannonElward Thu 08-Jan-15 13:50:10

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll retest in a few days just to know for sure, but it's more likely to be nothing if the test said so. Never mind, there's always next month! smile

Peachez15 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:49:23

Hi Ladies,

Im a 27 year old trying to conceive her first baby..I had a miscarraige in September 2014 at 8 weeks... I have since October been trying to conceive again. i am 3days late this month, took a test this morning and it was negative though i have a few signs ( have been cramping the past few days, nausea, always hungry, n moods) I dont know whether these are not in my head. was so hurt when i got my negetive this morning but part of me believes i conceived........ Confused

RhiannonElward Thu 08-Jan-15 15:36:59

The problem with all this pregnancy stuff is that once you have the feeling something is up, it's hard to shake it off. Plus when we really want to be pregnant we can usually find enough evidence that we are if we're looking for it. I really hope you get the news you're looking for Peachez, maybe retest in a few days to be sure? I have to visit the doctor tomorrow anyway so I'm going to get some advice there and maybe a retest. Are they instant tests at the doctor these days or will I have to wait for results?

mummyneedinganswers Thu 08-Jan-15 22:39:48

I'm the same last period was 5th of December and my January one was due between the 2nd and 5th of this month but still nothing my gp did a urine test on the 6th and it was negative so she done a smear test as well. Im so confused cz I've no period but have loads of cervical mucus and an having small twinges but no show fgs so frustrating am ggoin to test again on Monday if still no period xx

threepiecesuite Thu 08-Jan-15 22:42:26

I'm the same too, af due 3 days ago but nothing except a few tiny pink smears. I'm always regular to the hour. Lots of wind and nausea though. Wtf is going on?angry

dayslikethis Thu 08-Jan-15 22:54:20

When I tested for my second pregnancy I did 3 or 4 negative tests before getting a positive one a week after my missed period. I was convinced I was pregnant and just couldn't trust the tests. They were all the same brand though (a pack of 20 basic paper sticks (the kind you get at the docs) which a friend had bought and then only used less than half of them so had passed them on to me.) and I do wonder if that was the problem. (although friend got a positive result a few months earlier with them.) I went out to buy a clear blue one and it came back positive first time. Weird.

threepiecesuite Thu 08-Jan-15 23:36:20

I have one Asda test left, think I'll wait til tomorrow. If I'm not pg, then I wonder what's gone wrong.

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 09-Jan-15 07:15:28

Hi guys

My best friends been texting me for the past week saying she feels pregnant & can't put her finger on why. She's been using internet cheapie tests & all negative. Last night she sent a picture of a positive FRER & CB saying 2-3 weeks so yes, a false negative is common.

Good luck!

loulily27 Fri 09-Jan-15 07:28:41

I had 2 negative tests but just felt I was pregnant so did a clearblue digital which said pregnant 1-2 weeks! If very early more basic tests may not pick it up. Now overdue and eagerly waiting! Good luck ladies x

threepiecesuite Sat 10-Jan-15 10:13:56

I'm still getting negatives. Now 5 days late (unheard of for me), occasional watery pink smears when wiping but no blood. I'm absolutely baffled.

mummyneedinganswers Sat 10-Jan-15 19:22:44

Same three piecesuite I'm 5 days late and negative tests x

Teachur Sat 10-Jan-15 20:15:56

Can I join? Have changed username for this.

I'm late and have had two negative tests, last one taken this morning with FMU. I'm always on time, have my little app to confirm this. Average cycle 26 days, now on day 36!

Warning - TMI stuff to follow!

We had unprotected sex a day before ovulation (I know because it was a special night) but DH didn't come inside me. Have since read that precum can also have enough sperm to make you pregnant. Feel so stupid blush Had twinges, similar to just before AF arrives. And nothing is happening...

No idea what is going on! DS is 5, we didn't plan on having any more, don't know what to think or do. I wish I knew either way so I could get my head round things and book my summer holiday if I'm not otherwise that will have to be cancelled.

RhiannonElward Sun 11-Jan-15 22:13:28

Finally seeing a GP on Tuesday, I have had a little more spotting but getting cramps too. I just don't feel right, I have no energy and this is stressing me out. I can cope with not being pregnant but the thought of the alternative, that there is a problem and my fertility being affected is scary. I at least want to be trying to conceive, but dtd brings on spotting so I'm scared to do that until I see the doctor. Hearing about all the false negatives people have gotten is heartening though smile maybe there is still hope?

Teachur Tue 13-Jan-15 17:56:46

Any news Rhiannon and everyone else?

I have just been to my GP, he can't do bloods for me as they stopped doing it at that surgery. He told me to wait and keep testing on shop bought tests. Not happy, hate being in limbo.

RhiannonElward Tue 13-Jan-15 18:49:43

Hi teachur, I know what you mean about being in limbo, it's tough when there are no definite answers, it's very easy to over-analyse everything from symptoms to possible outcomes and it's really tough to cope with. I think, and I am of course no professional, that you'd test positive pretty soon if you are pregnant so hopefully that will happen or your AF will turn up and put you out of your misery. Will you be disappointed if you don't get a bfp? While we have been sort of trying, I had no idea how sad I would be to get a bfn, and I now want to put more effort into conceiving, in part to spare myself the anguish of the uncertainty every month. Although it;'s not quite over yet:

I went to the GP today, I have to do another pregnancy test at the surgery (I have to take a sample in) and I will hopefully get the results on Friday. I doubt that I'm pregnant, two negatives on home tests means it is pretty conclusive I suppose, but I am getting other symptoms so I suppose it's possible.

The best news is that he has no concerns if I am not pregnant, I was worried that my period being weird might be a symptom of something but he said to go ahead with trying for a baby and I'm now taking folic acid which is great.

I'm so relieved to have talked it through, I can happily cope with not being pregnant this month so long as there are no fertility concerns for the future. We get to keep trying now and I'm very excited about that. The only problem is that I have no idea what date to start counting from so will have no idea when I'm late. I'll have to get a pile of internet cheapies for next month and test often.

Teachur Tue 13-Jan-15 19:02:43

Hope you get results on Friday Rhiannon. Keeping my fingers crossed. Your GP sounds really good, talking it through with you.

No, I won't be disappointed. It wasn't planned and we were going to have only one child. Our DS is 5, happy and healthy and I feel like if I was pregnant it would rock his boat too much. 2, 3 or 4 years ago I would have been hoping for a BFP, but I feel like our family is already complete and we have big plans for the next years which would all be on hold plus my career is going extremely well at the moment as I was focusing on that in the last couple of years.

Then again, yes of course I'd love another child if this is how our lives were meant to be. We'd deal with it all and change plans. That's life.

But at the moment, I don't even know what to think or do. I have two holidays planned for this year - one with school (hence username) to Germany, the other with my family. Both in summer. Both impossible if I was pregnant.

I'm on day 39 now and nothing is happening. Well, I'm having twinges, stabbing pains, pulling sensations. DH even mentioned that I looked rounder and my clothes feel tight. But still BFN and no AF in sight.

Will just have to get another test and keep hoping for a result either way soon. Whatever it is I'll deal with it, just want to know. This is so frustrating!!!

Teachur Tue 13-Jan-15 19:04:13

And I should stay away from google. Apparently it's common to have false negatives. That's what makes it worse as we both could be pregnant and don't know. If I was I'd start the folic acid, looking after myself more etc.. No point though if not as I'm not TTCing anyway.

Really hope yours turns out positive though, you sound like you really want it.

RhiannonElward Tue 13-Jan-15 19:15:54

Teachur I think you have a very sensible attitude, I wish I could be as reasonable about the whole thing smile

I do really want it and Google is very good at giving false hope, I have read so many examples of tests being wrong, I have to remember that I am not a crazy woman, I believe in medical science and I will trust my test results, honestly haha. It's just so easy to get carried away with it all.

I hope you get the answer that you want, and soon. The waiting around is definitely the hardest part smile

Teachur Thu 15-Jan-15 17:02:01

Well, I have my answer. AF started this morning. Phew! I am actually quite relieved. Yes, I love children, but it wasn't the right time. Booking summer holiday this weekend now that I can definitely go grin I like my trio family, will speak to DH if we are both happy to stay three and if we decide we wanted more it would be planned and timed better.

Hope you get your answers tomorrow, will still pop in to see how it's going.

RhiannonElward Thu 15-Jan-15 21:19:54

Aww, glad to hear you've got the result you wanted, sometimes these little occasions really make us appreciate what we have or figure out what we are missing. I'm really pleased for you smile

As for me, I am pretty sure there is a bfn waiting for me at the surgery tomorrow, but that's alright, I'm really enjoying the excitement and have 30 internet cheapies in my ebay basket ready for next month.

Teachur Tue 20-Jan-15 17:14:01

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Any updates?

RhiannonElward Tue 20-Jan-15 17:25:12

Hi Teachur, so sorry, I totally forgot to update this thread. I did indeed get my bfn at the surgery but the GP wasn't concerned about the odd bleeding, apparently it's very common for that sort of thing to happen. Basically I am now on folic acid and ttc like a mad thing, beginning what I think to be my tww tomorrow (but going to keep dtd tomorrow and possibly friday to be sure I'm covered). Aiming for a big fat positive for the beginning of Feb, universe permitting.

How are you doing? Did you book that holiday yet? Hope you're going somewhere lovely as a reward for last months stress.

Teachur Sat 24-Jan-15 08:00:36

Hi, sorry been so busy. Well, happy TTCing grin Hope all works out for you, keeping my fingers crossed.

Holiday is booked and we are looking forward to it. We are definitely going to be more careful from now on as one is enough for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: