Talk

Advanced search

TTC - clueless about OPKs. Please help me!

(8 Posts)
Trickytricky Tue 06-Jan-15 13:38:42

DH and I have been TTC #1 since Sept (well that's when I came off the pill). Until now we haven't been counting days, or using OPKs etc.

Seeing as it's now January I thought perhaps I should check I am ovulating etc. Would you suggest using OPKs or just DTD every other day and hope for the best?

If you suggest OPKs which brand would you use? And please can you tell me how often you should use them and when... (see told you I was clueless!). Thanks all.

Ducky23 Tue 06-Jan-15 13:44:05

It depends on your cycle length, I had very very irregular periods so started using them as soon as AF finished, I used internet cheapies (a pack of LOADS off e bay for super cheap) you can't use fmu with them.

I never got a strong positive but got a faint one on day 29.

We DTD every other day anyway and 3 days in a row when I got the faint positive.

That faint positive is now a 4 week old lying on my shoulder smile

Good luck! grin

Ducky23 Tue 06-Jan-15 13:44:49

Well, you can use fmu but aren't supposed to with the ones I had smile and your meant to tey and not drink before using them

Cantbelieveimdoingthisagain Tue 06-Jan-15 14:00:11

Don't get into the awful hands of OPKs!

I cant get a positive for love nor money and it adds unnecessary strain & worry. Just ask your GP for a progesterone test on Day 21 of your cycle (if you are regular) that will confirm whether you are ovulating or not. Much less hassle and much less stressful!

Trickytricky Tue 06-Jan-15 23:10:55

Thanks all.

Cantbelieve - that was my main worry, adding any stress.

I think we just need to up the amount of times a month we are DTD. Is the best option to DTD every other day?

RaspberryMilk Wed 07-Jan-15 10:52:08

DTD is the often most given advice. I think it's about sperm reserves and tiredness more than everything. We tend to up ita bit in the fertile window.... and try to forget that its about baby making impossible

Me624 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:01:49

Hi op, I've been using opks for the last 4 months. I'm on cycle 10 now and my cycles vary a bit each month (usually 28-31 days but last one was randomly 36). The first two months I used Internet cheapies and I didn't get on with them - found them difficult to interpret and felt no clearer about when I'd ovulated than if I hadn't been using them! So I switched to clear blue digital which are expensive but they work really well. I got a positive on day 14 last month and no bfp (that was the weird long 36 day cycle) and this month I got a positive on day 17 and am now on the 2ww so we'll see. They've helped reassure me that I'm ovulating and because my cycle lengths vary it is difficult to use the fertility apps accurately so it's been good to make sure we are dtd at the right time.

Trickytricky Wed 07-Jan-15 23:32:52

Thanks for your comments. We're on cycle 4 and my cycle has been 28 days each time! Although DH has annoyingly been away during optimum days for last two months! Hoping this time we'll manage to DTD more AND both be in the same place at optimum days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now