Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cyclogest for IVF vs 'natural' pregnancy

(5 Posts)
Dildals Sat 03-Jan-15 12:21:47

Morning!

My first successful pregnancy was an IVF pregnancy and I was given Cyclogest to support the pregnancy. Now I have fallen pregnant naturally and am wondering whether I should call the GP for a prescription.

I had a MC earlier in 2014 and asked the Dr at the EPU about the Cyclogest. She suggested to call my GP and get a prescription as soon as I got a BFP. She referred to the PROMISE study which is looking in to whether progesterone in early pregnancy really works (previous studies were too small/bad quality). The results of this study are due to be published soon apparently but I haven't seen a publication yet.

However, when I read the Miscarriage Association website I understand that the researchers advise against prescribing Cyclogest until the study has been completed. This makes sense of course, from the researchers perspective but why is it then routinely prescribed for IVF?

Does anyone know whether Cyclogest is actually required for IVF pregnancies and not necessarily so for 'natural' pregnancies?

Thank you hive mind!

Dildals Sat 03-Jan-15 12:24:01

Aaah, I just found this googling. D'oh! Still leaves the question as to why the EPU Dr suggested for me to get a prescription!!

'During an in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle, medications are usually used to prevent you from releasing an egg early (premature ovulation). These medicines affect your progesterone levels. Therefore, your doctor may prescribe a progesterone supplement to make up for this decrease in your ovary’s ability to make progesterone. That way, an embryo can implant and grow inside your uterus (womb). Many scientific studies have looked at pregnancy rates in IVF cycles that used progesterone. These studies have shown that the rates are much higher compared to cycles where no progesterone was used.'

mummyneedinganswers Sat 03-Jan-15 13:10:34

Hi sorry for you losses. I've had 4 mc previously and had investigations to find out why and my gynecologist has my Dr under the order of the day I get a positive test I am to start clorogest pessaries aspirin and folic acid 5mg. He said it would help me carry full term or something along those lines. I have seen so many gd results with this alot of woman I know who sees my gynecologist have used the clorogest pessaries or the injection and have had great results and now have there babies xx

SilverStars Sat 03-Jan-15 19:11:39

Ivf does not allow natural progesterone to be produced, hence artificial forms are used until placenta takes over at 12 weeks is what I was told. Natural pregnancies produce progesterone is what my consultant told me ( have done no also).
Recurrent miscarriage clinics test women who have sadly had miscarriages and prescribe a range of medications depending on what issues are revealed by tests.

mummyneedinganswers Sun 04-Jan-15 01:45:33

All my tests can bk clear they think my blood clots too quick and that's what the aspirin is for but worth having a chat with your Dr they will know best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now