Talk

Advanced search

TTC turning into a nightmare! Thrush last month and now cystitis!!!

(7 Posts)
Noahsmumlou Fri 02-Jan-15 16:11:40

Anybody else suffering with symptoms of thrush or cystitis?? Been TTC since Feb 2014 and lying in bed after dtd is causing all sorts of issues. Normally I pee straight away. Any tips??

sammylou1 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:26:26

My doctor said there is no proof that laying down afterwards makes a difference. All the good swimmers should be well on their way by then, so I don't worry about laying down for 20 minutes anymore. X

Bolshybookworm Fri 02-Jan-15 16:42:45

I always go for a wee afterwards (and a wash- I hate cystitis!), and I've conceived twice. When I was really desperate to conceive, I maybe left it for half an hour, but then I still went. Don't think it made a difference though.
Remember, you only need one sperm to reach the egg!
Besides, it'll take you longer to conceive if you can't Dtd because your fanjos on fire.......

Blue500 Fri 02-Jan-15 22:12:17

Sorry to hear that Noah, I suffer a lot so I feel your pain. It's literally a living hell for me hmm

I always make sure I pee afterwards within 5-10 mins and sometimes before hand too (if it's not too spontaneous!) I think it just goes with hand in hand with ttc unfortunately. I've learnt to make sure I drink cranberry juice as much as a I can ( it tends to be something that prevents it, rather then stopping it once the pain starts) and I just make sure i drink regularly in general around ov and more regular dtd.

I've also heard good things about taking a tea spoon of bio carbonate of soda in water when the pain starts- but that didn't work for me.

Last option is I make sure in always have a stash of antibiotics in the house in case it's unbearable and you're not able to get to the doc straight away. I've had so many now that the doc was prepared to give me some as a 'just in case' batch. I never seem to be able shift cystitis without antibiotics so I always have to turn to them unfortunately.

Good luck x

Bolshybookworm Fri 02-Jan-15 22:53:25

Prophylactic antibiotics are definitely the way forward (although GPs can be reluctant to prescribe them). I've tried every cystitis remedy going, and the only things that work for me are drinking bucket loads of water and antibiotics. Also, avoid jeans, tight trousers and synthetic pants- they'll exacerbate the problem. Bit of water-based lube might help whilst you're DTD, as well.

Blue500 Sat 03-Jan-15 10:17:22

I clearly don't follow my own advice - woke up with cystitis at 5.30 this morning hmmhmm

DizzyNorthernBird Sat 03-Jan-15 13:52:44

I used to suffer from these issues loads when I was younger and am always really careful to avoid them but it's difficult when ttc and there's conflicting advice on whether to wait before going to loo etc after dtd.

I try to lie for around 5-10 mins afterwards (then I know I've at least allowed the swimmers a little bit of time!!) then go to loo. Also, I know the advice is not to 'douche' afterwards but I know if I don't I'll end up with thrush, so instead I'll wash around that area carefully with water in the shower so at least I know it's clean down there.

This seems to work for me as no thrush so far, admittedly no bfp either but only been trying for a month or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now