Talk

Advanced search

Have book an appt with GP to discuss fertility. No idea what to expect!

(4 Posts)
Cheesymonster Fri 02-Jan-15 15:08:54

Hi everyone

I've been lurking for a while on Conception and only posted a few times.

I'm 39, have been TTC #2 since April 2014 and have a DD who's 2.2.

AF came yesterday right on time. I've been using OPKs as DH is away a lot for work and I want to make sure each month we dtd around my ovulation window. I was so hopeful this month for some reason! We did the SMEP. Got my hopes up that I was having implantation pains, chocolate tasted funny etc but no luck.

DD was conceived really quickly. I'm worrying about my age so I've booked an appt to speak to my GP next week but I've no idea what to expect or what the next steps are so would really appreciate some advice please? Thank you so much.

SilverStars Fri 02-Jan-15 16:27:18

Hi, if over 35 the NHS offer fertility tests after ttc more than six months with a first child but am unsure about policy if a second child. After 18 months ttc2 my gp did the initial infertility tests for us: blood tests for me ( day 2 and then 7 days before AF due), which were done twice. This was to check for ovulation. Then as my dh has known make infertility he had a semen analysis done as well. It was repeated 3 months later. We were snot referred to the NHS for more tests as the gp said as we would have to pay privately for any treatment ( we had a long time ttc1) it was quicker to go straight to private, rather than wait months on NHS, who could not fund any treatment as already have one child. We conceived naturally ( after dh seeing private urologist and treatment) after 23 cycles and the week booked for ivf, aged 39.

My gp recommended the blood tests, male semen analysis ( all which a gp could organise), a recent smear with STI tests ( not that I expected to have any but she said needed them for fertility clinic so saved money). Also had thyroid levels checked.

sammylou1 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:29:10

Hi there

We have been ttc #1 for 14 months now. Saw gp at 10 months and she arranged blood tests for me and semen analysis for dh as any clinic would want you to have these before being referred. Most gps won't refer you before the 1 year mark unless the tests show reason for concern. Hope this helps, X

Cheesymonster Fri 02-Jan-15 16:33:41

Thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now