Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone still have long cycles on clomid?

(10 Posts)
Bovnydazzler Tue 09-Dec-14 18:49:54

I'm on my first month of clomid. Been prescribed it after cycles showing no ovulation (TTC #2).

My last cycle dates are 40 days, 91 days, 53 days and 52 days,

My gynocologist advised clomid should bring my cycle down to 28 days. I took 50mg on days 2-6 and she advised I should ovulate 5-9 days after the last tablet (ie by CD 15). I'm on CD 17 now, not got a positive OPK yet so just starting to wonder (and getting impatient).

Did anyone take clomid but still have longer than 28 day cycles? (And if so, was it successful?)

Thank you!

Smidge001 Wed 10-Dec-14 02:17:15

Hi there. My cycles are on average 33days (though vary between 30-40). I was put on Clomid for 3 months earlier this year, and my fertility doctor also said it would bring my cycle down to 28days. It didn't. My cycles those months were 31 or 32 days. So maybe they would have been 35 day cycles without the clomid - in which case they did at least shorten them - or maybe they would have been that length anyway!

Btw I was already ovulating so I'm not entirely sure why she put me on the clomid really.

Oh - just had another thought though. I thought clomid made you get false positives on the OPKs? Pretty sure I used them in those months and got positive results most days - though it did go really, really dark one day so I assumed that was the surge.

Good luck

WorkingBling Wed 10-Dec-14 02:51:43

I am not sure that ovulation kits work with clomid. I think that you should simply be planning to dtd from after you stop taking the pills for at least 5 days. That's what we were advised. And what worked. wink

Having said that, I had a period the first month and it was on day 32. Based on instinct and pregnancy dates i ovulated on day 12. So I still had a relatively long second phase even on clomid.

My absolute best advice though is to put the ovulation kit away for now and simply assume you are ovulating between day 10 and day 15 and just get on with it wink

Bovnydazzler Wed 10-Dec-14 08:36:32

smidge and working thanks for your thoughts. Interesting to know it doesn't necesssarily make it 28 days, even if gynocologist advised that. Agree with DTD regardless of OPKs! We've DTD EOD from cd7.

Main reason for using OPKs was so I don't drive myself mad POAS from cd 28 expecting a second line, if I knew when I ovulate at least I can get counting from there. Planning to keep DTD until cd 35ish anyway in case it doesn't shorten cycle (was just hoping for a reprieve from the mammoth TTC sex!) I think clomid gives false positives, but thought it was only for a few days after stopping tablets.

I'll keep DTD regardless!

WorkingBling Wed 10-Dec-14 09:46:37

If you get tired, I would stop at day 18 or 20. If clomid is going to work, it makes you ovulate in the beginning. Any weirdness in timing seems to be after ovulation.

I refused to test until day 31. I tested at day 30 the first month and was upset when my period started 2 days later. The following month I planned to test later but dh made me do one when I started retching on day 30grin

izj123 Thu 11-Dec-14 15:50:26

Hi ladies,

I'm so glad I found this thread. I am about to start Clomid for the first time. I've been trying to conceive #1 for 16 months and got diagnosed with PCOS. I'm so impatient now though.. Im on cycle day 36 and no signe of a positive pregnancy test or my period. I'm excited to start trying Clomid but I'm worried about the length of my cycle too as I have had very long cycles before... Do Clomid regulate your cycle at all once your on it?

bessie84 Thu 11-Dec-14 17:48:18

my cycles have been roughly 35 - 40 and stayed the same on all 12 cycles of clomid. didnt ovulate til 18-26, varied each cycle. im on gonal f now (iui) and still didnt ovulate til day 19 with it. x

Bovnydazzler Thu 11-Dec-14 21:45:40

ijz nice to hear there are others in the same boat! Hopefully you haven't too much longer to wait before starting clomid smile What's your lDTD strategy, I'm in CD19 now and already tiring, but going to

Bessie interesting you sometimes didn't ovulate till cd26.

Bovnydazzler Thu 11-Dec-14 21:48:26

Oops, accidently lay on my phone in bed and posted that! (I don't usually stop sentences half way through)
It should have said I'm tiring, but going to keep at it as just (desperately) want it to happen this month, can't chance missing ovulation!

izj123 Thu 11-Dec-14 21:58:01

Bovnydazzler, yeah its nice to know I'm not alone. You'll have to excuse me as I am not familiar with IDTD? Best of luck. I know how it feels wanting it so badly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now