Talk

Advanced search

What essential advice would you give to a complete TTC newbie?

(62 Posts)
NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 21:48:28

Hi all

I just came off the pill yesterday after being on it for a Very Long Time. I'm now in a place where I can start TTC and I'm feeling overwhelmed by this new 'world', and don't know where to start!

I'm finding my way round the acronyms by googling but there are things that I keep seeing that I didn't even think about / wasn't really aware of before (eg. no soft cheese!).

What do you think are the key things that someone who's just starting TTC should know?

eg. I know I should take vitamins, but not sure what kind.

I've just had to google OPKs to find out what that means, so that's the kind of knowledge level I'm at now!

N.B. I'm in my mid to late 30s so time is of the essence - I need to get with the programme! (You may wonder how I got to this age without knowing all this stuff, and I'm asking myself the same question! hmm)

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Dec-14 21:54:09

have sex and enjoy yourself

folic acid and vitamin d is recommended

no need for opk's at this stage (I never used them)

I have never seen/heard advice to avoid soft cheeses when ttc

WipsGlitter Tue 02-Dec-14 21:55:37

Folic acid
Have lots of sex

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 21:57:12

grin Good first bit of advice ilovepowerhoop - and hooray re. soft cheese as I'm a Philadelphia fiend!

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Dec-14 21:58:51

I think they may mean soft mould ripened cheeses rather than a tub of philly

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 21:58:54

Thanks Wips - that deffo sounds straightforward! smile

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 21:59:24

Ah.....no Stilton for Xmas then?

kezaroo Tue 02-Dec-14 22:02:09

Sex. Sex. Sex and SEX. an essential ingredient.

Also - and this may be difficult - but try not to symptom watch. (Says she who thinks a sneeze is a symptom hmm)

Seriously though. And don't stress. Your cycle may be irregular to start with (and won't be helped by stressing over it).

In my opinion, and if I could start again I wouldn't have done this - don't Google. I did and now I'm on the lookout for every ovulation symptom, implantation symptom etc.

Just sex sex. Sex. Every other day.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Dec-14 22:02:40

you could eat them if they are cooked although it sounds over cautious to me to avoid them while TTC

kezaroo Tue 02-Dec-14 22:04:30

and.... Don't do a pregnancy test every week like I did.

When I came off the pill I had pregnancy symptoms.... so what did I do? Take tests every time I had a 'symptom'. Turned out it was these stupid things called hormones.

Hormones = mind tease.

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 22:11:41

Good advice ladies, please keep it coming!

So should I avoid the ovulation apps which I just discovered existed about a second ago?

Spanielpuppy Tue 02-Dec-14 22:16:11

It's blue cheeses and unpasteurised cheeses. most cheese you buy are pasteurised just check the label it's only if you buy from a real deli or farm shop. This said, it's perfectly fine if cooked.

Only need to avoid once you have BFP

Spanielpuppy Tue 02-Dec-14 22:16:56

Sorry should say only if you buy from real deli or farm shop that they are normally unpasteurised.

honeysucklejasmine Tue 02-Dec-14 22:17:42

*NoveltySlippers" it sounds like you need to come and join the "Just Shagging" thread with Kez and me. (And loads others.) You'll learn a lot but the basic idea is shag! Lots!

Join Us!

NewEraNewMindset Tue 02-Dec-14 22:18:25

My GPs advice was sex every third day across the month. That's fine if you and your partner like to have lots of sex. If you don't you could end up 'burning out' and getting angsty with each other.

Opks will allow you to know when your fertile window is, so don't discount them. Most people assume they ovulate in day 14 of a standard 28 day cycle but lots ignorable don't have a standard 28 day cycle so they might ovulate as late as day 19 or as early as day 10.

My advice would be to start off by having regular sex, particularly around the middle if your cycle and look out for signs if ovulation which is slippery cervical mucus which has an egg white appearance about it. When your cervical mucus turns thick and white then you have ovulated.

cavamonster Tue 02-Dec-14 22:19:54

My advice is to step away from seeking advice...it can be a very long road and if on day one your over thinking it, it'll feel even longer!

With age and contraception history it could be 6-12months - relax, take folic acid / vit D and have sex every other day for now...

patienceisvirtuous Tue 02-Dec-14 22:24:28

Take some pre preg vits. Order some cheapy opks. Track your cycle with a pg app on your mobile. Have loads of sex around ur fertile time.

Worked for me. Fell pg v quickly both times. I am your age. It may have been good luck but it can't harm your chances!!

Good luck x

Beansprout30 Tue 02-Dec-14 22:24:29

Dont expect it to happen straight away like I naively thought (you might be lucky though)

steppemum Tue 02-Dec-14 22:24:45

I have 2 kids birthdays close to Christmas. It is rubbish. If I did it all again I would be abstaining between February and April!!

babyfedleaning Tue 02-Dec-14 22:27:25

Don't 'decide' you must be infertile if nothing happens for several months. It takes a while for your cycle to get into a normal pattern.

I agree with NewEra though - it can be helpful to discover when you ovulate - turned out mine was day 9 and I was missing my fertile window repeatedly because I assumed it was between days 12-16. And if you do want to do charting using your temperature Fertility Friend is a good free website you can use if you are obsessive interested in the mechanics of it like me. Oh and OPKs never ever worked for me which also contributed to me thinking I was infertile so use with care.

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 22:28:55

Honeysuckle - well that's a good name for a thread - I'll check it out!

NewEra - thanks so much - I totally needed cervical mucus and its significance explained to me. I had no idea about any of that! was I not paying ANY attention during Biology GCSE?

Spaniel - good job re the cheese - I live in a food desert so it's usually tasteless shrink wrapped supermarket fodder for me anyhoo.

Cava - will....try hmm

Aquilla Tue 02-Dec-14 22:29:48

The app is good - I used Women's Log (free basic version) and by golly it was spot on the money for both my pregnancies.
Don't worry about any of the restrictions until you're actually pregnant though. You want to enjoy your last child free Christmas festivities!

kezaroo Tue 02-Dec-14 22:34:47

Yes do come over to JS thread!

I do have to agree with cava.... I wish I hadn't read too much when I came off the pill. Now I'm listening / watching for my body signalling what turns out to be incorrect pregnancy symptoms.

NoveltySlippers Tue 02-Dec-14 22:38:06

Thank you Patience flowers

And steppemum that is a bloody good point! smile (I have a friend whose bday is 25th Dec!)

Babyfed and Aquilla - I think I will have a go at the apps at least to get started - I haven't had a natural period since, erm, Tony Blair was in his first term of office, so I really have no bloomin idea what my usual cycle looks like. confused

NewEraNewMindset Tue 02-Dec-14 22:39:14

Novelty your cervical mucus tends to be sticky and white after your period (non fertile) then you will notice it getting more copious and wet (fertile), hopefully it will then become slippery and shiny and you'll notice it on your tissue after you've had a wee (very fertile). This is because oestrogen is rising and it's a good sign. After ovulation you start to see white discharge again (non fertile). This normally dries up in the last week before your period arrives. This information alone is enough to get you through without the need for opks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now