Talk

Advanced search

Natural conception after over a year of trying...

(33 Posts)
sammylou1 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:02:27

Hi

I'm hoping to hear some stories of people managing to conceive naturally after 12 cycles or more?
We're on the waiting list for fertility investigations, but I'm still really hoping it will happen naturally while we're waiting... Am I being unrealistic?

VertdeTerre Sun 30-Nov-14 21:53:05

We tried for 2 years to get DC1 then finally went to the GP. When she ordered all the tests she said "keep trying, you wouldn't believe how many people fall pregnant at this stage", I thought "yeah right", lo and behold....pregnant with DC1 before all the test results were back grin

So it does happen. I forget the figures but it is not actually that unusual to try for a year. I wish people would talk about this more, because when you are trying for ages it feels like you are the only ones who don't get pregnant first or second month.

Obviously things like age and health are factors, but there is still hope, and it is good that you are moving forward with the tests. Good luck.

freedom2011 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:59:27

Yep. Natural conception after 2 years- drastically reduced stress levels. Unfortunately miscarried. But after 4 years 7 months of trying, with a year or 2 of failed western medicine interventions, and adoption investigations, we conceived naturally again with help from a Chinese medicine practitioner. DD is now 3 months.

BananaPie Mon 01-Dec-14 02:48:48

Yes, almost two years. No medical intervention at all. We had a first appointment at the fertility clinic booked, but found out i was pregnant the week before we were due to go and cancelled.

Don't lose hope!

AnnaBanana25 Mon 01-Dec-14 03:02:29

Trying for 2+ years, had appointment with fertility consultant and was diagnosed with pcos so was waiting to get treatment. One week later discovered I was 4 weeks pregnant naturally! Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

sammylou1 Mon 01-Dec-14 07:08:24

Thank you all for your replies, it helps to know it could still happen.
I seem to just expect af to turn up now rather than hope for a bfp... Although that doesn't make it any less upsetting when she does arrive. X

spamanderson Mon 01-Dec-14 10:01:46

Not from my personal experience but my mum conceived me after 15 months of trying. It was tough but it was all done naturally... I'm sure I was worth the hassle ha ha!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 01-Dec-14 10:18:24

We conceived naturally on cycle 13. Nothing had changed, it just suddenly happened. DD is now 12 months and just found out I am very unexpectedly pregnant with DC2, despite using contraception!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 01-Dec-14 10:20:14

I also had stopped hoping for a BFP.i took a test as I was a day late but didn't even bother checking it for a while as I just expected it to be negative. When I saw 'pregnant 2-3 weeks' (clearblue digital) I was in shock. Had to run out and buy another test.

Disneylandkilledmychildhood Mon 01-Dec-14 19:28:29

My mother tried for 4 years before conceiving me naturally.

ScrambledEggAndToast Mon 01-Dec-14 20:02:05

My mum and dad conceived me after 10 years of trying shock I was always quite impressed by their perseverance!! They then had my sister 20 months later.

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 01-Dec-14 20:08:02

Conceived after 16 months trying but did lose a stone and a half of weight which regulated my cycles (I have PCOS). I had also been to the fertility clinic for tests and was waiting for the consultant appointment when I got pregnant. Had given up on it happening naturally.

Liara Mon 01-Dec-14 20:10:01

We weren't really trying as we were told we had no chance, but we were having unprotected sex for at least 4 or 5 years before we conceived ds1, then ds2 a couple of years later.

sammylou1 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:14:06

Thanks again for everyone's stories. I needed some positivity today as been feeling like it will never happen for us ��
Hopefully it won't take 10 years... I'm not sure I have as much perseverance as your parents Scrambled!

moggle Mon 01-Dec-14 20:22:27

Didn't for us (we had ivf after 2.5 years- successful on first try, DD born 3 weeks ago :-D) but my friend conceived after 2 Yrs trying (male factor issues), my parents conceived me after 6 yrs trying, and my friend's parents conceived his big sister after 12 years.

I hoped it would happen naturally... Grieved a little on my last cycle before IVF, but I couldn't care less how we got her, now she's here. I hope you're sitting there in a couple of years cuddling your baby, however it happens xxx

sammylou1 Mon 01-Dec-14 20:27:01

Thank you Moggle - I won't mind really, as long as we have a baby in the end - it's just the length of time you have to wait for treatment, as all I've ever wanted is to be a mum, and I thought after our wedding I wouldn't have to wait long.

Oh dear, sound like a right moaner don't i?! X

spideysenses Mon 01-Dec-14 20:32:27

We had treatment for dc's 1&2 then unexpectedly found out dc 3 was on the way naturally, massive shock as we just presumed it wouldn't/couldn't happen, my sister just found out she is pg with her first after 14 months of ttc they where on the waiting list for iui grin very possible so don't give up hope yet

BumWad Mon 01-Dec-14 20:38:46

First time 18 months, second time 14 months..

Whooshtheyweregone Mon 01-Dec-14 20:40:36

Conceived after 12 months of trying but sadly miscarried. Then tried for another 2.5 years. Had fertility tests and a lap and dye and discovered I had PCOS and DH had very poor quality sperm. We were told we would need fertility treatment to conceive - 9 months after getting our results DD was born!

I think we just relaxed as we thought it would just not happen naturally. They also told me that people often conceive after a lap and dye. I won't bore you with all the trials and tribulations that we went through over the next five years but we finally ended up with a DS too.

Nottalotta Mon 01-Dec-14 21:09:09

BFP today on cycle 20!!!

sammylou1 Mon 01-Dec-14 21:36:21

Congratulations nottalotta! Xx

Stripylikeatiger Mon 01-Dec-14 21:53:10

Dc1 was conceived after 2 years ttc the cycle before we were due to start IVF. We assumed it would take 2 years+ to get pregnant with dc2 and we quite fancied a 3/4 year age gap so we started ttc when dc1 turned 1, I got pregnant the first month so I now have 2 under 2.

Fertility really is unpredictable and fickle. I hope you don't have to wait much longer, the waiting and not knowing is the worst part of ttc.

m33r Mon 01-Dec-14 22:23:54

20 months here. I'm now 24+4. We were 10 days away from ivf spot and had just had our lap. It's hard but hang in there. I just have a kicking bump but it's soooo worth it already. Good luck!

Ladyboluna Mon 01-Dec-14 23:55:18

This thread gives me such hope after really grieving lately. We've been trying for 16 months. You always know there's someone whose been trying longer or hurting for longer about it but that doesn't make it easier. It is good to hear more about how common it is.

I agree with vert people should talk about this more.

sammylou1 Tue 02-Dec-14 17:51:29

Thank you.
It's so hard at the moment, all our friends seem to be announcing pregnancies and I'm sure there will be another announced any time now... Feel like it's never going to happen for me hmm
Keep the positive stories coming everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now