Talk

Advanced search

What can I do to prepare for being pregnant?

(7 Posts)
jaydee88 Thu 20-Nov-14 11:46:06

Hi guys,
I'm new to this site but me and my partner are planning to start trying for a baby in about 4/5 months time (when I will get proper maternity pay from work as I've not been there a year yet). It will be our first baby and I'm so excited I want to start making some changes now. What do I need to be doing in the run up to conception? Should I get my Implant taken out now so hormones can settle? Should I be taking any supplements? And dietary changes I need to make?
Any help or tips would be wonderful... I'm completely new and terrified!
Thanks ladies smile
Jess xxxxx

Theorientcalf Thu 20-Nov-14 16:54:14

I'm not sure how long the implant takes, I'm sure someone else will know.

You need to take folic acid. If you have a high BMI you'll need a higher dose which you can get from your GP.

I didn't change my diet or stop drinking. Infact my first pregnancy I got pregnant on honeymoon and had been drinking red wine all week! blush

sparklyandbright Thu 20-Nov-14 16:59:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saiyme09 Thu 20-Nov-14 17:05:09

I had my implant removed because it was making me really depressed...literally 2 months later I was pregnant! happy accident pregnancy At the time I was also running every-morning also taking just normal vitamin supplements ( now switched to pregacare with frolic acid). I'd also given up the fags and pretty much the most chilled and happy if been so DTD more. I don't know all these things were coincidence really but looking back it was pretty inevitable!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 20-Nov-14 17:08:28

Yes to stopping any hormonal contraception and move to condoms while you wait to start ttc.

Yes to taking folic acid.

If you have a high BMI maybe think about some dietary changes (plenty of oily fish and veg) and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Dont bother cutting out booze - it could be a long wait, to be honest. If I knew I was planning on a heavy night id do a test that morning so I knew if I could drink that nught, but only once I was ttc.

If you and yourOH smoke, nows the time to stop

Try and relax. It can take one.month, it.can take 24 months or more. Theres no telling.

jaydee88 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:58:21

Thank you so much everyone! I lost a lot of weight recently so I was down to 9 and a half stone... last few months I've been eating myself to death and put a stone and half back on but I don't think my bmi is too high. I'm still a size twelve and 5'2.
Guys you are life savers! I have no idea what I'm meant to email doing! I will get to the clinic ASAP and get this thing out of my arm (it's destroyed my sex drive, made me have awful mood swings and made me depressed!!) And ill get to the chemist and get some folic acid etc etc smilesmile ooh I'm so excited smile.
yes I drink and smoke unfortunately so it's going to be a hard slog!! I've already cut right down to two cigs a day and going to stop completely in the next couple weeks. No way I would ever do anything to harm an unborn baby. And I'm certainly not looking forward to no wine for nine months!! But I want a baby more than I want wine! I shall go and get that app now!!
Thank you guys smile I hope not doesn't take long but I'm sure it will be worth the wait! Xxxxxxxxx

jaydee88 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:59:23

meant to be doing* i didn't mean "email" lol xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now