Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Charting temperatures

(11 Posts)
Kellie1991 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:17:46

All new to this and would like to start charting temperatures this month to see if I can work out if I'm ovulating or not also using opks. Have no idea what to do tho. I've bought a digit basal thermometer when I've taken my temperature a few times after one another today (just testing the thermometer) I haven't got the same temperature twice it's all varied by between 0.01 and 0.10 of a degree....

What clear shift should I be looking for when it comes to ovulating?

And is it easier to measure in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit? I would usually take my temperature in Celsius if I was feeling ill and I'm not too sure on Fahrenheit if that makes a difference?

georgeousgeorge Wed 19-Nov-14 14:23:34

Ok.... you need to buy this book www.amazon.co.uk/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Reproductive/dp/0091887585/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416406861&sr=8-3&keywords=charting+fertility

your basel body temperature is the temp taken at the moment of waking, so pop the thermometer in before opening eyes!

it doesn't matter if it is use the same one all the time.

Do it right and you will see a shift in your temperature!

Kellie1991 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:28:12

OK I think I do need that book lol... Will maybe just go along with it this month and see what happens my period is being a nuisance atm one minute it's here the next it isn't and I will stick the book on my Xmas list from dh lol. Im not sure how good I will be at temping because I don't wake at same time everyday due to a flipping annoying toddler who doesn't sleep half the time and sometimes is up at 6am sometimes not till 9am but will chart and see what happens anyways whether I can see a shift or not. Its all very confusing this ttc business lol
thank you x

bonzo77 Wed 19-Nov-14 14:28:55

Google Fertility Friend. Watch the tutorials and use their free app. It works it all out for you. You take your temp the moment you wake. Once only. You do this every day starting at least a week before you expect to ovulate. You need 3 consecutive higher temperatures to confirm ovulation. I can't remember how much higher the higher temperatures need to be, but it's not much. Less than half a degree celcius.

ProbablyMe Wed 19-Nov-14 14:29:08

You need to take your temp first thing after you wake up, ideally after at least 4 hours of solid sleep and at approximately the same time every day. Try using Fertility Friend - either the App or online - to track your temps and look for the shift. If I remember correctly you're looking at a drop of around 0.3 deg (using farenheight) followed by a continued rise over the next 3 days. But be aware that not everyone will see this pattern.

I would still use opk's from about day 11 onward if you can. The temp shift you get happens when ovulation actually occurs and won't therefore give you a lot of warning to drag your DP into bed!!

Good luck!!!

georgeousgeorge Wed 19-Nov-14 14:48:17

there is an adjustment factor for early / late waking, and you need to have been asleep for at least 3 hours before waking.

YY to fertility friend.... was very useful.

lildottie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:45:39

also recommend fertility friend but I use the paid version. it includes opk timing optimiser as well as other things. if you pm me an email address I can send you a recommend a friend link so you can try paid version free for a bit. save yourself £14 and read the free ff book here it tells you all you need to know.

lildottie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:47:34

I also used this website>to adjust for different waking times when I was lazy at the weekends grin . never had issue detecting ov using it but I'd recommend using it as sparingly as poss. can u set alarm for 6am and just go back to sleep if the toddler isn't up?

Kellie1991 Wed 19-Nov-14 22:46:03

It's getting the hours of sleep will be the issue with the toddler more than anything lol he just does not sleep.... Some nights I'm getting less than 2 hours atm.... God knows why I'm wanting another baby lol! But I've my alarms set for earlier each morning anyways so we will see what happens will soon have to get up at same time every day anyways coz He starts nursery soon lol

Thank you all for your advice and lildottie I will send u a wee pm when I get a chance to have a look at the website over the weekend and see what my period is at this month lol!

lildottie Wed 19-Nov-14 22:58:25

2 hours sleep is not good for more than temping kellie!! Hope that improves for you! FWIW I've taken temps at times when i'd had less than the recommended 3 hrs sleep before temping (waking up for a wee for example) and I was still able to get an identifiable shift in my chart. I would perhaps add a "specific" in ff app and mark down the days when you don't temp after the 3 hours so you can see how often its happening to decide if it's enough to make a difference.

Good luck

ALittleFaith Thu 20-Nov-14 07:46:59

I have that book and don't need if, would you like it? Only need to cover postage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now