Talk

Advanced search

Any encouraging stories about post-pill periods taking a while to come back?

(21 Posts)
PumpkinPi84 Mon 17-Nov-14 15:05:03

Hey ladies

Has anyone got any encouraging stories for me about post-pill periods taking a while to come back and then being normal? I took my last microgynon pill in late September, had normal withdrawal bleed and am now on CD 49. I know many people's periods take a while to come back, and i came off the pill earlier than planned when I realised this could happen, but it's so hard not to start worrying.....

Thanks!

Porchrules Mon 17-Nov-14 16:18:30

Hi Pumkin,

I'm not exactly here with a success story - but definitely with a shared experience! Please don't worry as it is definitely normal for them to be irregular - I am in the same boat - came off Microgynon in July and have been TTC ever since. I had my withdrawal bleed, then a 'normal' period exactly 4 weeks later, which made me very happy as I was worried about abnormal cycle lengths, but then nothing for exactly (to the day actually) 2 calendar months later... so, not regular then!
I was hoping that I might be a bit more regular this month, but I'm now 5 days over due (2 negative pregnancy tests) and all the physical discomfort of a period but no actual period. So miserable as we just want to get on and try again but feel stalled all the time by waiting around for a period for weeks on end. So jealous of everyone who gets to 'have a go' once a month and it also makes it really hard to try and use the ovulation kits as no idea when to start them within my 'cycle'!
Anyway - let me know how you get on and feel free to rant more - I know exactly how you feel. Are you ttc for the first time?

Trinpy Mon 17-Nov-14 17:03:43

It took over 5 months for me to get my period after stopping the pill and my cycles were all over the place afterwards - shortest was 21 days, longest was 3 months! I did eventually get pregnant after over a year of ttc, then mc then got pregnant again straight away, resulting in my ds grin.

It seems to be very common for it to take a while to get back to normal after stopping the pill - I think my experience is fairly unusual though as most women I've spoken to about this got pregnant or returned to normal cycles within a few months. If your period hasn't returned after around 6 months then you should see your GP.

Please try not to worry thanks.

Moomin37 Mon 17-Nov-14 19:56:48

Hello Pumpkin smile I am on CD131 after stopping Yasmin (pill) in July. Therefore I'm keen to hear some encouraging stories too. Considering acupuncture as a next step (can go back to GP in a month or two and they might help). I'm 35 and this is our first, so anxious to crack on.

PumpkinPi84 Mon 17-Nov-14 23:01:03

Thanks Porch and Moomin, it's good to share the waiting! And thanks Trinpy for the success story.

I'm 30 and TTC #1, although it doesn't feel like we've really started trying without a cycle. In my early 20s, I went almost 2 years without a cycle, had various checks including an ultrasound and then was given medication which brought them back. At the time, I put it down to the upheaval of some time living overseas and some significant weight loss, but now I can't help but wonder that the tests missed something. On the other hand, it's good to know that they can be brought back.

I'd be interested to hear whether the acupuncture works. I guess anything to break up the waiting would be good. There seems to be so much waiting involved in TTC and I'm not even past the first post!

CrispyFern Mon 17-Nov-14 23:04:33

I went seven months without a period after coming off the pill one time, four months the next time I came off the pill again. Once they started though I didn't have any problem getting pregnant.

toohardtothinkofaname Tue 18-Nov-14 08:35:04

Same boat as you Pumpkin, currently on CD82. Just used SI to try & truck body into OV; should know by next week if I've succeeded and off to doctor if not.

I know it's not a success story but hope it helps to know you're not alone & we're here to listen if you need to vent-it is massively frustrating.

I've heard reflexology is fab at regulating periods but thought I'd try the cheaper route first.

Massively p'd off at doctors for not telling me about this wait when I told them in April we wanted to start TTC at the end of the year...

Porchrules Tue 18-Nov-14 10:16:15

Morning ladies,

Just to add to the trauma, I'm off work this morning with a bout of cystitis... oh the joys of TTC!!

Can I just ask what is SI? Sorry for my ignorance but looking for things to keep busy with as well whilst we wait it out for another go as I'm pretty sure we've now missed the boat this 'month'!

I've seen a few people on here mention acupuncture and also reflexology and might look into things a bit more in the new year if still no sight of regularity.

I'm 29 Pumpkin and know what you mean about feeling like you're not really trying yet - so frustrating. I came off the pill just before our wedding as we wanted to get going straight away - can't believe now that I ever thought we might get lucky on honeymoon...!!

Fingers crossed, eh!

iniquity Tue 18-Nov-14 10:24:11

Ive been off pill 5 months now but my cycle length has been a but short and no pregnancy. I think I may have ovulated later thus cycle so I'm hoping the lack of pregnancy is just the pill screwing my system up..I read one book that it can take some women 18 months to return to normal fertility.

toohardtothinkofaname Tue 18-Nov-14 10:46:03

Hi Porchrules,

SI is Soya Isoflavones; people use them early in a cycle to trick body into thinking it's low on oestrogen & it helps you ovulate or strengthen eggs in those that already do. I advise reading the thread about trying to conceive with soya Isoflavones to learn how people take it. It works for some & not for others & there's cases of women who already have good cycles having them messed up by SI. I thought I'd take it now (although a lot later on cycle) to try & kick start some hormone activity. Looking good so far!

PumpkinPi84 Tue 18-Nov-14 14:29:25

Thanks for the reassuring success story CrispyFern, how did you cope with the long wait?

Interesting tips about SI etc. I think I'll wait till the new year and then go to the GP, maybe my previous history of missing periods will mean I can push for tests earlier.

Too hard - I think even if you had come off back in April, it would still be frustrating and you'd wish you'd started earlier. Officially we're not trying until after Christmas, we allowed this time for my periods to settle but it's still so annoying! Just a couple of months ago I was weighing up whether I wanted to put my career on hold yet, and now I'm totally baby obsessed!

Porchrules Tue 18-Nov-14 14:38:19

Ha! I was having that same conversation with a good friend just yesterday Pumpkin - at the beginning of September I was all 'I love my job, do I really want to pause it yet'... and now every Monday feels like a kick in the teeth!! Mumsnet is definitely a blessing and a curse... just in case we weren't obsessed enough! Have you all got Ovia to keep you busy too? Found out about it on another thread and it's data input heaven - I'm pretty sure my control issues are not being helped by this TTC business, but this stuff helps keep in in its box a little!
Thanks CrispyFern (great name!) - there is hope!

PumpkinPi84 Tue 18-Nov-14 15:24:59

Hey Porch

Yes totally with you on the change of priorities. DH wonders how I can be so impatient when recently I was so uncertain (he's been constantly broody for a while but patient about waiting until I was ready work wise.)

I'm using Ovia but it's not so fun when the predictions disappear due to no period! Bit hooked on mumsnet but mainly been lurking rather than posting. There's nothing else to do while we wait, is there?!

Porchrules Tue 18-Nov-14 15:37:20

I know! I am a serial lurker on here - and if I keep on like this I'll probably get the sack anyway - so that would be another way of solving the job situation!!

My DH keeps trying to tell me to relax... I think being an impatient and controlling woman makes me a bad candidate for this ttc business! I love it when the boys are broody too - but it does make me feel a little sad that we can't just seem to be able to get on with it.

I'm gonna go look up the soya stuff now to keep me busy... and I have to confess I was just a bit naughty and did another test (BFN obvs) as all the talk on here of how similar the sensations of early pregnancy are with the arrival of AF got me wondering. Already trying to convince myself that middle of the day testing (when I've been downing gallons to get rid of cystitis) is a bad idea anyway... maybe give it another test in a few days. Am I just being ridiculous now?! Urgh.

PumpkinPi84 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:50:57

Haha no, not ridiculous, our bodies are cruel with symptons that can mean so many things! Good luck!

bettybyebye Tue 18-Nov-14 21:32:44

Hi ladies, hopefully positive story for you....I came off microgynon on 18/07/14, had normal withdrawal bleed then NOTHING until 13/09/14 - that was a long couple of months, not helped by constant pregnancy "symptoms" followed by BFNs. Got BFP on 1st Oct, but accompanied with some bleeding and cramps and was confirmed as a chemical pregnancy a few days later. Next had a period on the 13th oct, and got another BFP a few days ago - obviously very early days still but hoping this one sticks. If you have enough OPK sticks, I would recommend testing every day if possible - I didn't ov until day 23 of this cycle - was starting to despair as to what was going on with my body when I got the +ve and Made time to DTD a lot, which seems to have worked!

toohardtothinkofaname Wed 19-Nov-14 07:27:58

Congratulations Bettybyebye. Hope this one is sticky for you flowers

A family member told me recently they stopped their pill in September, had absolutely nothing for 3 months. Took a test near Christmas & found out they were a couple of weeks along so I concur with Betty: OV could happen at any time so keep testing on OPK or just keep DTD if you're not into that.

PumpkinPi84 Wed 19-Nov-14 23:39:49

Congrats Betty! And thanks for the encouraging stories Betty and toohard.

I haven't tried opk sticks yet as I think they'd make me quite stressed, but maybe I'll try if my period doesn't appear soon!

Thanks ladies :-)

tinkerbellvspredator Wed 19-Nov-14 23:44:57

I've been on and off the pill, took around 6 months to get periods back and once it was over a year. Also had long and irregular cycles. When we TTC (had been off the pill for ages by this point though) we conceived first month.

RoseBud2015 Thu 20-Nov-14 07:28:06

Hi, I came off Femodene BC on 21st September and after 56 days..... finally AF arrived yesterday! Woo Hoo! And just in time for December! After being in limbo for 2 months I ever never been happier to see AF! grin

PumpkinPi84 Fri 21-Nov-14 07:33:59

Thanks ladies, encouraging stories :-) Fingers crossed for the rest of us x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now