Talk

Advanced search

What's the most common stumbling block?

(7 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Sat 08-Nov-14 03:00:38

I am currently in that limbo between DTD at what I am pretty sure, according to OPKs and charts, was the right time. It's a little early for implantation and I am finding it slightly frustrating that I have no idea whether there has been a meeting of egg and sperm and a little ball of cells multiplying and working its way down into my uterus.

Has got me thinking about whether the majority of months that end in no pregnancy have had a sperm meeting the egg but no implantation, or whether the odds of fertilisation are actually quite low, even where there was definite ovulation and good strong sperm. Does anyone know which part has the highest chance of failure, fertilisation or implantation?

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 08-Nov-14 06:25:47

Interesting question. I don't know but I'm on my 2Ww at the moment. I had what I think was implantation bleeding/cramps. The hardest part for me is trying to relax and stop symptom spotting

addictedtosugar Sat 08-Nov-14 06:55:12

My understanding is that there are many months where egg meets sperm, but something isn't quite right, and the baby never implants properly, and so you get a period. However if you test early, you may get a positive result briefly.

Good luck with your journeys.

JessieMcJessie Sat 08-Nov-14 07:00:41

That sounds positive NoArmani, good luck. how many days DPO did you get the bleed?

I found this incredibly detailed guide to conception, which is fascinating and makes me realise how incredible the whole process is. It's well worth a read, especially the bit about the sperm being held back and released in "platoons" to maximise catching the egg.

www.infertile.com/how-to-get-pregnant/htgp-chapter-1.htm

We're only on our first cycle TTC but I am no spring chicken and very impatient.

wanttobeamummyin2015 Sat 08-Nov-14 07:19:27

My mum is an ob-gyn and she has said in past loads of eggs get fertilised but just don't implant, but equally there is also high numbers that implant but don't survive so I think it is probably equal (she doesn't know I am ttc though so I haven't discussed it recently!)

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 08-Nov-14 14:32:02

That link is very interesting Jessie

I'm also very impatient. I got the spotting and cramps at 5/6dpo. No other symptoms yet, AF due in 6 days.

Good luck

naty1 Mon 10-Nov-14 12:45:43

Well for ivf there is high fertilisation rate say 70%.
But of those only some carry on growing. Maybe 70% to day 5.
Even if they reach 5 days old in the lab and are transferred 50-60% will end in bfp. So some good looking embryos just dont implant
Then maybe 1/4 of those will miscarry.
But i imagine failure at these stages are higher in ivf patients as they have issues.

Naturally you have about 20% chance per month. Depending on age. Hence why like 90% get pg in 1 yr.

They think only 50% of a young womens eggs are good (not abnormal) and the abnormal ones go up as you age

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now