Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on high prolactin??

(11 Posts)
angiebabes31 Thu 06-Nov-14 00:10:23

Hi ladies,

Just looking for an positive stories from any of you girls that had elevated levels of prolactin whilst TTC? My story is I got the Mirena coil fitted in October 2009 and a year later in 2010 I started to notice I could squeeze colostrum from my nipples even though I've not breastfed in years (DD is 11 and DS is 10). Googled this and seemed to be a common side effect of the coil so thought nothing else of it. Fast forward to August 2014 and I got my coil removed to TTC baby number 3 and low and behold 3 months later I am still able to squeeze colostrum on a daily basis (thought this would stop once coil was removed.)
Spoke to my doctor yesterday who advised me without a doubt my prolactin levels will be high and this might affect my ability to conceive. I am having bloods taken on Monday to measure the exact levels.
I have been using OPKs and get a positive reading on cd13/14, not sure about Ov temp spike as I will begin temping next cycle. Currently on 14 dpo with AF due tomorrow, tested this morning and another BFN. AF has been very light though, 2/3 days of spotting and light flow. AF before coil was 5 days (2 days heavy, 2 medium, 1 light.)
The information from my doctor has absolutely floored me since I conceived DD and DS first time. Now I am with new DP of 5 years and he has no children so having a baby of our own would really complete our family. Just looking to see if anyone out there has had a BFP or positive experience with high prolactin?
I'm 31 and DP is 28.

Thanks x

MagpieMama Thu 06-Nov-14 00:33:21

I had high prolactin (caused by medication) and was prescribed clomiphiene. I conceived on the 3rd cycle (DS is now 1 smile).
There is another medication (that I can't remember the name of, sorry!) thats normally used to treat high prolactin but it can't be taken with my current meds. Hopefully someone with experience of it will be along shortly.
Best of luck!

angiebabes31 Thu 06-Nov-14 08:48:46

Thanks for your reply Magpiemama.

That's definitely reassuring, thanks. Hope it's just a simple hormone imbalance and not a tumour or a thyroid problem. Heard taking Agnus Castus is good and ordered some but going to withhold taking anything until I get my bloodwork done to see what's going on with me. X

Number3cometome Thu 06-Nov-14 15:26:03

Hi there, my prolactin levels were 650 last month, not the highest, but bloods have been repeated. I did have higher levels before i fell PG with my DD 7 years ago. I have blood results tomorrow! x

angiebabes31 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:15:55

Thanks number3cometome smile

I have no idea how high my levels are going to be but the must be consistently high for at least 4 years for me to be lactating all this time. Were you taking meds for your high prolactin at the time of your last pregnancy or did it just happen anyway?
I'm still actively ttc and praying it works out. X

Number3cometome Fri 07-Nov-14 13:24:00

Mine just happened anyway. I think it is spontaneous as my results today said 450 which is fine?! x

Theorientcalf Sat 08-Nov-14 08:51:56

Hi, I have a prolactinoma. This was discovered after I had DS and my periods never returned long after I stopped breastfeeding, I was still lactating. My prolactin level was 2000.

I had an MRI scan and was diagnosed. It's a tiny tumour on the pituatury gland. I was put on medication to shrink it and four weeks after starting it my periods returned.

I was told I couldn't conceive until it was sorted out, but now have a 12 week old DS2.

angiebabes31 Sat 08-Nov-14 20:44:36

Hopefully i have the same luck then number3cometome, thanks for sharing x smile

Thats's what I'm concerned about Theorientcalf, I have been lactating for the best part of 4 and a half years now even though I've not breastfed for 10 years, and I do have frequent headaches...maybe I'm reading too much into that?! How long were you on meds before you got your BFP? X

Theorientcalf Sat 08-Nov-14 22:30:54

Well we didn't start TTC until about 6 months after I started my medication. I had a mc 3 month later, and got pregnant the month after that with my now DS.

Lactating and headaches, you definitively need your prolactin checking.

EagleRay Sat 08-Nov-14 22:33:52

Hi - I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma 5 years ago. At this point, prolactin levels were around 2,500-3,000. I took the drug Cabergoline and my levels dropped over time to around 600. Two years ago I started TTC and got pregnant twice in 6 months (one early MC and then a successful pregnancy).

I was already 41 when I conceived so did quite well I think!

Interestingly, since having DD and stopping BF I have returned to the same dosage of medication but my levels are now down to 400, the lowest they've been since before I was diagnosed. Not holding out any hope of having baby #2, but you never know!

Good luck smile

angiebabes31 Sun 09-Nov-14 00:53:01

Sorry about your mc but good you went onto have a healthy pregnancy x Yeah definitely needs looked into, blood test to be done on Monday morning.

Thanks for your reply Eagleray. I've read some positive feedback about Cabergoline, we'll see what my GP recommends, luckily I've been blessed with a very understanding and sympathic GP who I've been seeing for years so he won't hesitate on putting me on the right meds to get me back on track. Oh, there's definitely hope for number 2, long as AF is still visiting and prolactin levels low...go for it! grin

It's definitely reassuring hearing you ladies went on to have successful pregnancies with the right medicition, googled this and "infertility" kept cropping up. Thanks again for sharing. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now