Talk

Advanced search

TTC 1 year or more

(60 Posts)
natureplantar101 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:19:42

anyone else in the same boat as me ? young healthy but still no luck sad would like someone to chat to and handhold withbrew thanks

samc85 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:24:03

Hi nature!
We've been trying for 12 months with no luck, but this month has been worst of all as currently on cycle day 39 with no af and all negative preg tests.
Where abouts are you in your cycle this month?

tutsyflower Wed 05-Nov-14 20:30:41

Hi nature
I'm 26 DH is 29 we are both healthy and have being TTC for a year now we have had our first fertility investigation appointment and we are waiting on the next. DH has is SA this Friday smile fingers crossed for him I had a day 21 progesterone blood test don't a few months ago and it showed no sign of ovulation sad no big surprise really I know there is something wrong with me sad. I done another day 21 test yesterday so I find out the results of that tomorrow I could be wrong but I feel its going to be another no ovulation cycle for me sad. But at least we are on are way to hopefully finding out what the problem is its a long wait but we can keep trying while we are waiting smile. So How's things with you any progress with doctors? smile

natureplantar101 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:56:10

We're heading to the doctors sometime this week. it has been exactly 1 year since we started trying to conceive sad i use a fertility monitor to track my ovulation so i know for certain i ovulate every month around CD12-14 i am on CD3 today of cycle god knows what lol have lost count over the past year grin we dtd every other day and i use conceive plus and have tried mooncups and softcups and the pillow method and still nothing DP is convinced it is him and his weight holding us back also he suffered a nasty injury in high school which could have done some damage other than that we dont know why i havent got my BFP yet sad sorry for the long post

natureplantar101 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:58:52

i also take folic acid and agnus castus which has made my cycle regular as can be and made me ovulate smile before i took them my machine detected no ovulating which was awful i know how you feel sad i have also considered the fact i may have pcos but as im now ovulating every month its not worrying me as much

samc85 Thu 06-Nov-14 06:53:58

My gp has referred us to fertility clinic so just waiting for the appointment now. You will prob have a couple of tests (bloods/swabs) at the gps before you get a referral plus your hub/partner will have to have semen analysis. X

bluetrain Thu 06-Nov-14 07:03:35

we've been trying for a year now. I got pg straight away but had a mmc in January. I don't ovulate regularly and am on cycle day 66, no idea if/when I'm meant to ovulate!

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:48:39

should have a doctor's appointment wednesday as we are both off work what to these tests entail exaclty ? im terrified of needles and DP is shy dont think he would let a male doctor near his neather regions

samc85 Thu 06-Nov-14 17:48:26

Blue - so sorry to hear about your mc. Fingers crossed for a lucky month for you.

Nature - the first appointment with gp for us was really just a discussion (I cried the whole way through though) to decide if and what we should do.

We then had:

Me - day 3 and day 21 blood tests, day 3 was def thyroid but not sure what else, and day 21 is to check for ovulation. They really weren't that bad, you will be fine.
I also had some vaginal swabs to check for infections. If you're not up to date with smears you will have this too

Him: semen analysis at local fertility clinic. All it involved was him producing a sample at home and taking it to the clinic. He was only in there 10 mins and the results are sent to gp within a week. No doctors have examined him so far.

Hope this has helped reassure you a bit. X

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:28:08

it has a little thanks smile blood tests will be worth it even if i cry through them lol grin and DP will be relieved the doctor wont be touching him
day 3 and day 21 tests might be hard to do though my boss is awful at letting me have days off would have to ask GP what dates he wants me in for them and get them off in advance

samc85 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:35:49

Day 3 and day 21 refer to day 3 of your cycle (3 days after you start bleeding) so is a tricky one to book in advance unless you're very regular. Days 21 is easier as you have 3 weeks from first day of af.
Your boss is obliged to give you time off for doctors appointments, however if he really is a task master then pull a sickie... You will be at the doctors after all smile. Xx

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:07:13

i am kind of regular now im taking agnus castus im currently on CD3 of AF so wont be on AF again till next month will let the doctor know and see what he says if DP does have a low sperm count what treatments are available for him ?If there are any I know there is clomid for women but not sure about male fertility treatments

samc85 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:28:35

Try not to worry, he might be fine.
If he does have anything wrong then treatment will really depend on cause. Think he would be suggested a repeat test and some vitamins to start with. I know there are some physical causes which surgery can help with, but I'm not too sure about drugs.
Diet, caffeine intake, alcohol intake and exercise levels can all play a big part in sperm health too so he could always try improving these in the mean time.

samc85 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:29:59

Re your cycle days, you can start with the day 21 - it doesn't matter which order you do them in. X

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:28:46

i thought your cycle started the day AF started E.g my AF started 3 days ago so i am on CD3 hmm if i have it right

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:32:26

TMI. considering he was kicked in high school quite badly we think it has done him some damage his semen isnt a white colour its clearish and he doesnt feel "normal" down there and im ovulating and havung having AF fairly regularly give a dsy or two so chances are it is him he is also slighty overweight he is around 5"10 -6" and he is 18st 17lbs he is on a diet as am i but all problems are pointing towards him not that i have told him that sad

NewEraNewMindset Thu 06-Nov-14 22:34:17

They like to do the day 3 and day 21 test in the same cycle, so yep your day 3 bloods would get taken first. Ideally your 'day 21' would be 7 days before your period, so really you need to know what your average cycle length is and work back accordingly. I have a 25/26 day cycle so my bloods were taken on day 18.

tutsyflower Thu 06-Nov-14 22:44:21

Hi ladies
my second day 21 bloods came back and I haven't ovulated this month again just as I suspected. sad All this carryon is really doing my head in. Yes nature the first day of your cycle is the first day of AF. I have not got day 3 bloods done yet what's that for???

NewEraNewMindset Thu 06-Nov-14 22:55:49

Day 3 is normally to give you a baseline reading but also check FSH levels and I think LH.

natureplantar101 Thu 06-Nov-14 23:07:11

aw sorry to hear that tootsy flower what methods are you using to ovulate if you dont mind me asking

samc85 Fri 07-Nov-14 06:49:55

My gp said it didn't matter if the day 3 and day 21 were done in different cycles... Guess it depends on your dr. Xx

natureplantar101 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:25:22

Great so as im approaching CD23 this month I can get booked in for that and then CD3 next month grin

natureplantar101 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:26:28

It's a PITA though had 3 Facebook updates of scan pics from friends so far the last on reduced me to tears sad its not been a good month

samc85 Fri 07-Nov-14 11:42:35

It really sucks, I swear there are pregnant women, scan pictures and babies everywhere, and I'm sitting here waiting for a letter from the fertility clinic ��

xBlueberry88x Fri 07-Nov-14 15:20:06

Nature I just wanted to put my story across.
I can see that you use a fertility monitor to track ovulation but that doesnt mean that you are ovulating it just means your LH rises.

I've been ttc for 20 months now (Im 26 and dp 30) and completely believed I was ovulating, I had cramps around cd 14 always had a 28 day cycle and positive opks but blood tests showed no ovulation! Im now on second month of clomid and ovulated last month.

Your GPs appointment wont be very exciting normally blood tests and a semen test for your other half. I had to have 3 months worth of blood tests.

Day 21 test needs to be 7 days before your due AF any other time and it wont show ovulation sufficiently (A day either side is fine), this will be the one that confirms ovulation.

If a problem shows up they will put you through to see a gynae doc.

Gynae doc will need to see you both and will talk you through everything they will probably ask for more blood tests, for you they may carry out an internal scan on the day to check for any lumps etc and they may also book you in for a HSG (a solution is injected up into your tubes and you are scanned to check for blockages).

It took 8 months to get from gp to gynae to clomid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now