Talk

Advanced search

Would you give up wine while ttc?

(7 Posts)
alovelycuppatea Tue 04-Nov-14 19:00:43

In the light of this....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29614413

...if you are actively ttc, would you lay off the wine completely? Or any alcohol for that matter - wine just happens to be my drink of choice. DH feels very strongly that we should (he is willing to go dry too which is lovely). I am less convinced that a few glasses of wine here and there while waiting for the BFP wont do any harm. What if it takes a year?! Once I have my BFP, I would happily give it up, but should I be giving it up now? We're talking max 4 large glasses a week over two nights.

What to do...

alovelycuppatea Tue 04-Nov-14 19:03:32

"will do any harm" I mean - not wont. Double negative - bad grammar...sorry!

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 04-Nov-14 19:05:55

I had cut down a lot when I was TTC as was doing slimming world and was too many syns. It took 16 months to get pregnant so no way was I giving up alcohol for that long.
You could give up drinking in the two week wait (between ovulation and either getting AF or a BFP) but as baby doesn't take anything from you for the first couple of weeks while the placenta develops so if you don't stop completely until you get a BFP it wouldn't harm the baby. I had a couple of glasses of wine the weekend before I found out I was pregnant as that didn't cause any problems.

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 04-Nov-14 19:08:30

And you would have to drink far more than a couple of glasses of wine a week to have a baby with fetal alcohol syndrome.

NoArmaniNoPunani Tue 04-Nov-14 19:08:58

I'm on my 2ww at the moment and I'm having a small glass of wine with dinner. I don't think a small amount will do any harm.

tomatoplantproject Tue 04-Nov-14 19:16:18

Nope. I have spent so far 30 months of my life ttc and would have gone batshit crazy without some alcohol now and again. I think it's relatively easy to cut down but miserable to stop altogether. Oh and dd happened after 16 months ttc in a very alcoholic holiday when we had given up hope of ttc working!

katandkits Tue 04-Nov-14 19:18:31

Wine or other alcoholic beverage has a part to play in the conception of many a baby! Within healthy guidelines it isn't an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now