Talk

Advanced search

A definitive answer on how often to do the sex.

(8 Posts)
AWombWithoutAFoof Tue 04-Nov-14 18:31:26

I remember a GP telling me about 6 years ago to only shag every second day because otherwise you're not getting any chance to build up sperm.

Is this actually correct? I was thinking of doing SMEP this month but that suggests DAILY SEX FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE DAYS. shock

Anyone here ever been told how often to shag by an actual fertility HCP?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Nov-14 18:45:33

I'm sure the nhs website says it is best to have sex every couple of days throughout the month for the best chances.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Nov-14 18:47:52

infertility.about.com/od/tryingtoconceive101/f/how_often_sex.htm

ImBrian Tue 04-Nov-14 18:51:32

When I planned on getting pregnant I did every other day and it worked.

allchatnicknamesgone Tue 04-Nov-14 19:02:08

Having just gone through ivf, DH was told to refrain from relieving himself for 2-3 days before the crucial time. So, I reckon that means sex every other day is better than every day.

AWombWithoutAFoof Tue 04-Nov-14 19:34:12

allchat, can I ask whether there were issues with your DH's sperm? Some stuff I've been reading suggests to have sex every day if the sperm sample is normal, but to go every other day if not.

DP has a low-ish percentage of sperm antibodies, which a gynaecologist explained to me as the sperm don't slide past each other as easily as they should.

CoffeeOne Tue 04-Nov-14 21:27:56

We're going for every day during my fertile week as that's how we conceived DS. I always figured the more sperm the merrier grin

allchatnicknamesgone Wed 05-Nov-14 13:37:54

DH sperm bit of mystery tbh. I blame it on crap test first time. he did it at home then took it to hospital. Apparently receptionist wasn't very proactive and he had to basically wave it in her face. He reckons it was probably sitting round for too long. he's had 2 tests since. both absolutely fine, so much so that we were told we didn't need isci and we could just have ivf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now