Talk

Advanced search

Trying for baby #2 & not as easy as it sounds ��

(6 Posts)
Cantbelieveimdoingthisagain Mon 03-Nov-14 20:35:39

Hi all,

I am brand new to this & after reading for some weeks, bit the bullet and joined! So hi ��

My partner and I are ttc (this is the only abbreviation I know sorry!)

I already have a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship and never thought I would have more children...

8 weeks ago, I found out that I may encounter some problems. Following the (difficult) removal of a copper coil, I informed my GP that i only have a period 5 times per year. On this basis, he told me my chances of conception were very slim. We tested my partner on my GPs advice just as a precautionary measure and devastatingly came back as a very low sperm count meaning we would have double the struggle with problems on both sides. I've been struggling with my emotions since and have the shortest fuse �� I feel sorry for my family putting up with me.

I am now on day 40 of my cycle and am yet to ovulate (I test every day) Just wondered if there was anybody out there who may have similar issues?

Thanks in advance! ☺️

MsVestibule Mon 03-Nov-14 22:03:58

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, apart to say carry in doing what you're doing. I guess if you keep healthy, have sex when you're ovulating and put a pillow under your hips when you're done, you're maximising your chances!

Would you consider IVF?

GingerbreadHead Mon 03-Nov-14 23:19:48

Hi cant sorry to hear your results weren't very good, and you have been having a hard time with it.
Is there any chance you were only having 5 periods a year because you were on the coil? I don't know much about it sorry as have never had it. There are various things that can be done, not sure if your Dr mentioned, to encourage ovulation, such as clomid, or there are a few of us on the conception boards at the moment who are trying out Soya Isoflavones, which are supposedly natures alternative to clomid! I think they can encourage you to ovulate, or bring it on a bit sooner in your cycle than normal. Have you ever tracked your ovulation before? It might be worth investing in a basal body thermometer too, you can pick them up from amazon for less than £5, you take your temperature as soon as you wake up every morning and then record it on a chart, and it gives a good indication of what is going on with the hormones in your body throughout your cycle.
Did your GP mention doing a second sperm analysis for your partner just to double check the figures? There are also things your partner can do to improve his results, does he take any vitamins or supplements? I think vitamin C is meant to be excellent for improving mens sperm, as well as cutting back on caffeine and alcohol and trying to eat as healthily as he can. very boring I know!
Apologies if I've just explained lots of things you already know about, but didn't want to read and run!

Cantbelieveimdoingthisagain Tue 04-Nov-14 09:20:42

Thanks both - I'm sorry - I dont know how to tag your names to this message, I am very new!

MsVestibule, thanks for your advice, will keep up with this. I would certainly consider IVF - with our circumstances, a private clinic would treat us in 6 months of unsuccessful trying as our systems are all over the place and low. I would love to conceive again naturally, just am so impatient about this, I wish I could do it tomorrow, but I never have been the most patient person!!

Gingerbread head, thank you also for all of this advice - I am doing most of it except the basal temperature as it sounds quite difficult? I have never tracked my ovulation as I was certain I would never have any more children. My GP tells me that the coil shouldnt have any relation to my cycle as it wasnt the mirena coil. I am taking a herbal supplement atm called Agnus Castus - I dont know if you have heard of that or have any experience of it? My DH is at his 2nd test if we speak haha - sorry if tmi! He is living on protein, zinc, vitamin B12 & Vitamin C, just recovered from a serious groin injury and has been taking well man conception for 1 month... hoping this will give us an improvement smile

Thank you both again

Turquoisetamborine Tue 04-Nov-14 09:38:59

How old are you both? Are you overweight?

I rarely had periods. I went on metformin which sorted out my erratic blood sugar and my periods became regular. I got this from a private consultant. It was only later on that I had a laparoscopy and found my one tube was blocked and could never conceive again naturally (have a son).
Went straight for IVF then and here I am pregnant after the second round. If you're paying for IVF I would go to a private clinic as I found them so much better than NHS. In my area anyway.

My H's SA wasn't good in the count or morphology but dramatically improved by taking Zita West Wellman vitamins.

Cantbelieveimdoingthisagain Tue 04-Nov-14 10:06:56

hi turquoise We are both very slim and have BMI's of about 20/21.

I had blood tests all come back normal last week so not sure if they would have found out if my blood sugars would show in that? Thanks for pointing this out, I will note it down to ask doc next week smile

Sorry to hear about the troubles you have had but congratulations on pregnancy, you must be over the moon smile My partner is at second test after a month of wellmans and improved diet so feeling hopeful. Private test so will have results this afternoon - hope my hopes are not dashed. Bad news after bad news is just crushing me atm sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now