Talk

Advanced search

Depo injection and ttc

(14 Posts)
MyNameIsSuz Mon 03-Nov-14 20:23:25

This is potentially a very silly question, but dr Google came up with squat so I think I need to suck it up and ask people:

If I'm having periods again after stopping the depo jab, does that mean it's out of my system?

I went on it when DS was tiny as I was breastfeeding and didn't get on well with the mini pill. Was warned it might take ten months to get out of my system so just after he was one I went back on the combined pill. Since then I've read all sorts about how long it can take and ten months seems optimistic!

It's now roughly a year later and we're ttc number 2. I stopped the pill in August and have been having periods very regularly - almost as if I were still on the pill, exactly 3 weeks from the end of one to the start of another.

I just want to know, so I can possibly stop driving myself crazy every month, is it out of my system?

bumpkin85 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:30:53

Hi Suz,

Not a silly question. If you were meant to have your last jab in August, then by now it will be out of your system.

Did your periods stop completely when you were on the Depo ?

bumpkin85 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:36:31

If your periods are back to normal then sounds like you are clear of it. But your body may still take a while to get back into sync.

I came off Depo last October, and I do have periods, but they are irregular and iv struggled to get to grips with my cycle.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 03-Nov-14 20:59:38

Ooh, it sounds encouraging! I think I was just worried as periods seem so... uniform, it makes me worry they're synthetic. Just to clarify, stopped injection around 11mo ago and stopped pill in August.
I think I'm ovulating, getting around a week every month where I feel pregnant.

bumpkin85 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:15:23

Ah right, sorry being a bit dim this evening. Yes, 11 months, you will be free from the jab.

Because I'm irregular I bought the clear blue ovulation test thing with the smiley faces. It was definitely a relief to get a smiley face when I was ovulating. I kinda knew I was but i needed some reassurance.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 03-Nov-14 21:21:44

So you think it's worth the money to get the opks? I'd held off, and might do until after Christmas, but would be good to know where we are I guess. Thanks!

bumpkin85 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:30:53

I guess it depends how quickly you want to get a bfp.

I tried about 3 months with no opks, just kept a look out for ewmc. I did get the ewmc but I think I was still leaving it too late, and I kept missing the egg boat, so to speak.

I think mine cost about £27 in boots, but I think it is worth it. You can get the cheapies from Amazon, but they are too hit and miss for me.

We dtd the day I got a smiley face. Since then my AF has been missing in action, but iv had brown discharge. So I'm just sitting tight and waiting it out.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 03-Nov-14 21:55:10

Wow, fingers crossed for you!

bumpkin85 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:01:44

Thanks. I hope it all goes well for you too.

xBlueberry88x Tue 04-Nov-14 22:00:30

Just to give you another side of the story it took 8 months for my periods to come back after depo and a year after that of ttc went to gp and had blood tests and foubd out I wasnt ovulating even though I was getting positive opks and cramps. my periods were regular at 28 days aswell.

I've now had to start clomid, I'm very sure it was the depo I have read alot about other woman who have had the same.

Fx its different for you though

MyNameIsSuz Wed 05-Nov-14 17:46:49

Oh no! That sounds really hard, I wish I'd done a bit more research before I had the jab sad

MinionDave Wed 05-Nov-14 17:54:17

I was on depo and came off it in the June as I was getting married on September and I wanted it to come out my system as we planned to try straight away. By the next June I still hadnt fallen pregnant so got a ovulation test. It came back negative, so had to do one again the next month (even though I was having periods.

The next test came back positive, and 3 weeks later I got my BFP smile

I think the deco can mess with your cycle, but it can just sort itself back out. I ended up having my 2 dc within 11 months of each other grin

Good luck

jellypi3 Wed 05-Nov-14 19:15:51

I came off Depo in February this year. Periods returned last month (finally). Not sure if they are regular yet, AF should be due Tuesday if they are back to normal. Hoping I am ovulating but not tested, just using the good old "DTD as much as possible" method for now! smile

MyNameIsSuz Wed 05-Nov-14 21:25:08

That's my strategy too jelly, I plan to stick with doing it as much as possible until the end of the year and then maybe step it up a notch and start doing tests etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now