Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

possible to fall pregnant using the withdrawal method?!

(26 Posts)
chan321 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:12:47

Myself and my partner used the withdrawal method and ever since I can't stop symptom spotting and wondering if I'm pregnant? I'm Googling all sorts and some say it's impossible and others say they have children that were conceived using the withdrawal method. As I said before I'm sure I'm getting all sorts of pregnancy symptoms - occasional sore boobs, tiredness, hot flushes, starting to feel sick tonight and my moods are crazy up and down. AND last week i told myself to make a doctors appointment because i was getting pains in my lower abdomen that was really unconfortable. BUT those symptoms could just be put down to other factors. I'm so confused. Something tells me I am but maybe my body is just telling me what it thinks I want to hear.... If that makes sense?

Anyone else been in this situation or fancient airing their opinion?

fairgame Sun 02-Nov-14 20:16:15

Completely possible.
Read this thread from last week.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2218961-Breaking-News-The-withdrawal-method-does-not-work?

I think you should do a pregnancy test.

HappyHippyChick Sun 02-Nov-14 20:17:43

I am currently feeding my withdrawal method baby...

DanceToJoyDivision Sun 02-Nov-14 20:18:34

Completely possible. Pre-come contains sperm.

POAS!

Kellie1991 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:19:22

I would assume you could get pregnant.... Pre ejaculate... I'd do a test

theposterformallyknownas Sun 02-Nov-14 20:21:12

ds2 and dd were both conceived this way. We knew the risks though so weren't surprised when it happened.

FishWithABicycle Sun 02-Nov-14 20:23:29

Entirely possible - withdrawal method is a lot less reliable than any barrier or chemical method.

starburst1979 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:36

My mam used to say "what do you call people who use the withdrawal method??....parents"
God I miss her smile

chan321 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:46

What's POAS?

I Darent test because I think I'll be disappointed if I'm not and I'm convincing myself I'm just imagining it all

SignoraStronza Sun 02-Nov-14 20:32:16

Entirely possible, although used it for years with one ex and then before and between babies with dh. Never had a scare and fell pg as soon as we stopped trying not to conceive.wink
So, the rhythm method worked very well for me!

FishWithABicycle Sun 02-Nov-14 20:33:50

POAS = pee on a stick = do a test.
Really not sure why anyone bothers starting a thread about whether or not they could be pregnant if they aren't willing to do a test. Why? You think the opinions of a bunch of strangers is going to have some kind of influence on what's going on in your uterus?

FrauHelga Sun 02-Nov-14 20:35:55

Of course it's possible.

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 02-Nov-14 20:38:10

The withdrawal method failure rate is supposedly between 4 to 18% i.e. somewhere between 4 and 18 couples out of 100 will get pregnant using this method.

Is your period late? If it is, you could be pregnant and the only way to find out is to take a pregnancy test (or wait 9 to 10 months...).

chan321 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:39:08

Fish With a bicycle - I didn't say I wasn't willing did I, I said I Daren't. Of course I will test when I need to. And what a ridiculous statement to make, implying that I think these comments will influence what's going on in my uterus. I asked the question for opinions from other ladies - not from sarcastic women who obviously have nothing else better to do tonight that come on Mumsnet to find people they'd like to attempt to ridicule.

SweetsForMySweet Sun 02-Nov-14 20:39:48

This is the third thread about this in about a week.
Do a pregnancy test in the morning with your first morning urine, it's more concentrated then so your hormone levels would be higher. Use a digital test or first response, they are more sensitive and detect earlier than most. Hope you get the result you want

Biscuitsneeded Sun 02-Nov-14 20:50:11

My withdrawal method baby is now 7. I also miscarried one before him. So yes, it's very possible.

chan321 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:02:36

It's odd that there's so much online saying it's near on impossible and yet it's happened for so many women ..

Bowlersarm Sun 02-Nov-14 21:06:58

We used it as a birth control method for years, 100% successfully. That doesn't mean to say that it's not possible for you to be pregnant though. Do a test.

wannabestressfree Sun 02-Nov-14 21:15:43

Pope's favourite method of contraception smile

FrauHelga Sun 02-Nov-14 21:16:23

I was going to say Wannabe - Vatican Roulette grin

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 02-Nov-14 21:41:45

Well up to 18% of couples who use this method will get pregnant, which is almost 1 in 5. That's potentially quite a lot of women, even though 4 in 5 won't get pregnant. That's also assuming that people are using this method as correctly as they can, when in reality I'm sure not everyone does.

Toucanet Sun 02-Nov-14 22:03:28

Hi chan321 a friend got pg using the withdrawal method. Thankfully she was married by then, had been doing it for a few years including with her previous fiance after deciding she didn't like the Pill. Actually said she was kind of glad in the end as the the time would never have been right! Maybe depends just how careful you are in considering the day of the month. Hope you get the result you want.

chan321 Mon 03-Nov-14 07:24:28

Thanks everyone

SweetsForMySweet Mon 03-Nov-14 23:06:16

Chan321 Did you take the test? From your posts, you seem to want to get pregnant, are you using the withdrawal method because your partner doesn't want to have children but that you are hoping to get pregnant?

hopefull2424 Tue 04-Nov-14 05:43:40

Hi chan
It is possible hun. My dh and I used it for a few years and never got pg but it's always taken us a long time to get pg anyway.
Don't ever feel you can't ask these questions -in my opinion there is no such thing as a daft question.
Also test when you feel comfortable testing. It's such a big thing that sometimes it takes a while to build up the courage, personally in a poas addict ;)
Here's wishing you get the outcome you want xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: