Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation day confusion from doc

(4 Posts)
sooperdooper Fri 31-Oct-14 09:39:10

We went to the docs yesterday, ttc for 18 months and no signs so he's asked me to book in for a blood test to check I'm ovulating. (also having an ultrasound)

He asked my cycle length (25 days) and said I should book in for a blood text around day 18 when I should be ovulating, but now I've been and checked against the cycle tracker app I've been using, that suggests my ovulation day is around days 10-13, 18 is way off confused

He just said 18 off the top of his head when I said my cycle length, do you think he got it wrong and should I go for the day my tracker gives?

Metalhead Fri 31-Oct-14 12:29:24

To check for ovulation you need a blood test 7 days after ovulation, or 7 days before your next period, therefore your doctor was right to say day 18 based on a 25 day cycle.

eurochick Fri 31-Oct-14 12:31:47

Metalhead is right - the test should be seven days after ov. It sounds like he got it right but didn't explain it well.

sooperdooper Fri 31-Oct-14 13:07:08

Ah, thank you smile Yes the doctor didn't explain that the test checks ovulation but is done after it happens, so I'd assumed (wrongly!) that you had the test at the time you ovulate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now