Talk

Advanced search

Finally got my BFP thank you soy!!

(34 Posts)
Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 17:42:57

I don't really know why I'm posting this but just wanted to tell someone and not someone in real life (if you know what I mean) after 14 months of trying after a mmc I got my much longed for BFP yesterday and all I did different this month was take soy isoflavones after seeing some good success stories on mumsnet, and well it worked!! So don't lose hope ladies it will happen grin

Sylviecat Sat 04-Oct-14 17:46:39

Congratulations! Soy worked for me too.. twice! Wishing you an uneventful 9 months. ..

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 17:54:00

Thank you Sylviecat... I'm terrified and ecstatic in equal parts!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 04-Oct-14 18:14:48

Congratulations. Wish I had faith in what you say though. It some times seems like it's never going to happen.

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 18:31:38

Hi ilivein

I know how you feel, really I have spent the last 6months thinking I'm probably never going to have another baby and should just be happy with my dd who is 5 but I desperately wanted another one, I honestly couldn't see it happening again after all that time, so I thought will give the soy a go and just see and well It did work for me I know it won't for everyone but I just wanted to give some hope... Ill keep everything crossed for you that you have your good news soon too

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 04-Oct-14 20:44:09

Aww I know I'm very lucky really Chook to have been blessed with D.D.
but you do sometimes get fed up hoping. It doesn't help that through circumstances me and d.p together and both work so we can't dtd on tap but then who can in the real world whether they live together or not. But we Managed a quickie earlier on before d.p went to work and d.d is out.
But I'm sick of thinking after every shag or maybe it's worked this time, but I suppose you thought like that as well
Can you tell me what soy is please. I might give it a try.

GingerbreadHead Sat 04-Oct-14 21:10:39

Congratulations!! I am also ttcing number 2, for 16 months now, also wondering if it well ever actually happen hmm. I have heard these mentioned on MN too, wonder if it's worth giving them a go, can I ask where you got yours from? How many did you take?

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 21:10:47

Soy isoflavones are hailed to be the natural alternative to clomid.. So it makes you ovulate and gives you a more mature healthy egg I believe, I have read a few positive stories on here so I got some from Amazon and took from cycle day 2-6 and the had very positive ovulation signs backed up by opks 10 days after the last pill and well it worked.. Like you a busy life meant my and dh don't get the chance to dtd all the time but this time we did it day before ovulation and day of... Missed a day then again and within a week I started to feel a bit odd and after putting it off finally did a test last night and was a very strong and quick positive. I definitely felt that way too and was so down each month but it will happen I insist on it! smile

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 21:17:31

Hi Ginger

Thank you! I'm scared stiff incase of another mmc but I'm keeping the good vibes going as best I can! Mine were from Amazon took from cycle day 2- 100mg day 3- 150mg day 4- 150mg day 5- 200mg and say 6-200mg I took them before bed and had no side effects.. I obviously can't say for definate these were the key for me but they were the only change I have made in the last 14 months so I think it was and would recommend giving them a go, and will hope they have the same outcome for you! flowers

GingerbreadHead Sat 04-Oct-14 21:19:42

Ah Chook that's amazing! What a lovely story, I'm so happy for you! Off to get some soy isoflavones, gutted I'm on cd15 now!
Do you mind me asking were your cycles pretty regular? Were you ovulating anyway? Had you had any tests/scans done?

GingerbreadHead Sat 04-Oct-14 21:21:35

Cross posts!
I really hope it sticks for you. I have read somewhere that soy can actually be bad for fertility, but I guess after 16 months of nothing, it's not going to hurt to give them a go for a month or two. Are those instructions on the packet or did you find that advice on MN?

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 21:30:26

I don't mind at all Ginger

My cycles were all over the place, I have never really had a normal cycle they would range from 32 days to 90 something! It was crazy but I was ovulating I have been doing opks for a few months so was timing dtd around this and nothing.. After taking the soy the ovulation signs were very strong and the line on the opks was almost black so we dtd the day before and day of the strong line and that's what did it I think! That was my thinking too nothing is happening so what harm could it do and well I'm now sitting here feeling exhausted a bit sick and boobs hurting so I'm all for them!! I found the info for taking them on here

GingerbreadHead Sat 04-Oct-14 21:39:55

Thanks for the info chook! I am getting positive opks, and dtd at the right times, but my cycles can vary from 21 days to 29 days. It's definately going to be worth a shot anyway!! Which brand did you buy?

Chookford Sat 04-Oct-14 21:45:39

No problem Ginger.. Mine were called Natures Aid , think eBay do them too! I will keep everything crossed for you! Keep us updated how you get on!

GingerbreadHead Sat 04-Oct-14 22:01:10

Thanks Chook, will do!

adora1985 Sat 04-Oct-14 23:39:48

Congratulations! It's great to hear good things about the soy, as I'm going to try them next month. My cycles are all over the places-between 36 and 76 days-and me and DH have just been referred to the assisted conception clinic now, so I'm really hoping that the soy works before we have our referral app. It's really helpful to hear positive stories like yours, particularly when you've been ttcing for a while and it's obviously done the trick.

Chookford Sun 05-Oct-14 10:36:54

Thank you Adora

I hope you have the same good outcome I did wink!

spinningirl10 Sun 05-Oct-14 17:22:39

Congratulations chookgrin

I took soy for the first time last cycle after 2 ladies on the ttc thread got their bfp. I got a super strong +opk. Keeping fingers crossed it works for me this cycle.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 05-Oct-14 18:08:59

Congratulations!

I am definitely going to try this too.

Chookford Sun 05-Oct-14 18:20:30

Thanks Spinning

I will keep everything crossed for you! I was sure they wouldn't do much but thought what the hell.. They can't make anything worse and well as you know I had a good outcome, of course it's still early days and after one mmc I'm terrified but I've got to try and stay positive!

Alisv

Thank you! I would recommend them to anyone to give a go, I will keep everything crossed you get a good outcome!

BobsyBoo Sun 05-Oct-14 18:30:37

Congratulations Chookford and thanks for sharing, I've been TTC #2 for 21 cycles & I've taken Soya Isoflavones for the first time this cycle so hopefully they'll work for me.

Hi Gingerbread I got my Soya Isoflavones from Tesco. I took one a day on cycle days 3-7. I just googles Soya Isoflavones for Fertility to find out when to take.

Chookford Sun 05-Oct-14 18:59:19

Bobsy

Thank you very much, I have been following your story on the struggling to conceive number two... I was about to join when I got the BFP .. I really hope you get your happy ending soon, you deserve it flowers

BobsyBoo Sun 05-Oct-14 20:08:52

Thank you Chookford I really hope it's finally going to be my turn this cycle.

This is one of the most difficult things I've been through 21 months of trying with a very difficult OH.
thanks

EnglishGirlsReturned Sun 05-Oct-14 21:36:37

Congratulations Chookford!! I'm on cycle 2 with Soy! Hoping they do the trick!!
Bobsy - sorry to hear you're struggling ttc. I also have the tesco ones, but I read you're supposed to start at 100mg up to 200mg max. Tesco ones are 40mg, so i'd recommend taking more than one a day. Lats cycle I took 120mg (3 tablets), 120mg, 160mg (4 tabs), 160 and 200 (5tabs). A lovely lady on ttc threads posted this info - she also got her bfp month one of using it!

WHAT IS IT?
Soya Isoflavones are derived from soya beans. They have been dubbed “the natural Clomid,”
As they work in pretty much an identical manner.
Just like Clomid; Soya Isoflavones work by tricking your body into thinking its low on oestrogen. Your body then kick starts production of FSH (Follicle-stimulating hormone) followed by LH (Luteinizing hormone) Which are both necessary to release Healthy Eggs during ovulation.
FSH is released at the start of the menstrual cycle; it stimulates the growth of an immature egg into a fully matured egg. When the egg has matured your body then releases a surge of LH. LH is the hormone that tells the ovary to release the egg.

WHEN?
You take Soy Isoflavones, like Clomid, on either CD 1-5 , 2-6, 3-7 , 4-8 or 5-9.
If you take soy Isoflavones during the later time bracket, for example CD5-9, you shall strengthen the egg that has already started growing producing a healthier egg. The earlier in your cycle you take It, the higher your chance of releasing multiple eggs but these eggs will not be as mature as the eggs grown from taking Soya later.
A lot of women will choose the middle cycle (3 -7) allowing time for a strong and healthy egg to develop without erasing the chance of a second egg being developed and released.

1-5 = you produce more eggs, and ovulate sooner, with a stronger ovulation.

2-6 = you produce more eggs that usual, but not as many as taking it 1-5. Eggs may be more mature, and ovulation will be slightly more strong than 1-5.

3-7 = The best of both worlds, a few more eggs, and all eggs will be strong & mature, and ovulation will be alot stronger than 1-5.

4-8 = No more eggs will be produced, but the ones already there, will be matured alot more than usual, and ovulation will be very strong. Ovulation may only be brought forward a teeny bit.

5-9 = You'll have one very mature strong egg, from the ones you already produced on your own. Ovulation will either happen when it usually does, or a few days later, but your egg will be of great quality.

DOSE?
The dose is really down to you but you should always use the lowest amount that works for you.
With Clomid the starting dose is 100mg. Soya Isoflavones are said to be half the strength of Clomid, so it makes sense for the starting dose to be 100mg.
The trouble with 100mg of soya is that the capsules tend to come as 40mg. So you have a choice of starting at 80mg.
Some women change the dose on different days. So they may start at 120mg for the first 3 days then give an extra boost for the last 2 days with 160mg.

As I have said though, use the lowest dose possible for yourself. If you ovulate using 120mg/day stick to that for a few cycles. GIVE IT A CHANCE. It is said that it takes 3months to get the full benefits of what you are taking. NEVER EXCEED 200mg/day.

OTHER BENEFITS?
The following potential health benefits are attributed to Isoflavones:
Reduce heart disease risk
Protect against prostate problems
improve bone health
Reduce cancer risk

SIDE EFFECTS?
As with any medication, taking Soya Isoflavones may cause side effects such as:
Nausea
Headaches
Dizziness
Hot flushes
Night sweats
Cramping
Diarrhoea
Lack of fertile cm
Thrush
Obviously the higher the dose you take the higher your chance of experiencing side effects.

DO NOT TAKE SOYA ISOFLAVONES WITHOUT CONSULTING A DOCTOR IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
Breast cancer, hepatic disease, prostate cancer, kidney disease, taking hormone treatments, thyroid disease, and allergies to soy, peanuts or other legumes.
Soy Isoflavones should not be taken while breastfeeding or pregnant.
Soy Isoflavones may interact with the following medications; androstenedione, antibiotics, clomiphene, DHEA, contraceptives and other female hormones, finasteride, raloxifene, red clover, tamoxifen, testosterone and other male hormones, thyroid hormones, and toremifene.
NOTE: Just like Clomid, Soya Isoflavones may not help some women at all!
Although research carried out on FF has shown that 77% of women taking Soya Isoflavones on the stated days at the stated doses, got there BFP on their first cycle taking them!

Chookford Sun 05-Oct-14 21:45:19

English

Thank you very much, and thanks for all the info.. You explained it much better than I did! grin hope you get you BFP soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now