Talk

Advanced search

Swaying for a girl - sudafed

(23 Posts)
Poppy1980 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:07:37

I've name changed for this as I feel quite bad about wanting to sway trying to conceive our next child to be a girl.

We have a gorgeous DS and although I would be more than happy with another boy, deep down if I am honest I have always wanted one of each. Please don't flame me for this.

I've been looking up ways of swaying the whole process to try and make it more girl friendly. Again, more than aware that most may be total rubbish but I'm willing to give them a go.

My question is - I've read on many sites that it's recommended to take sudafed before DTD but I can't seem to find out if it's a particular sort of sudafed or if any of them would work?

Thanks

Heels99 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:08:42

FGS!!!!!!

Poppy1980 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:11:28

So very helpful there Heels!

scarletforya Fri 04-Jul-14 20:13:52

I have a vague memory that there is some ingredient in cough medicine which thins the cervical mucus. Maybe the girl sperm survive better that way?

I'm sure someone will confirm.

I think though for a girl you need to try before ovulation rather than on ovulation day. Something like that.

Pooka Fri 04-Jul-14 20:15:18

How would you or your partner taking sudafed impact on which of your partner's sperm (x or y) reach the egg first?

It doesn't make sense. But may be missing something. Unless is done thing to do with the vagina/conditions. But seems very vague -

scarletforya Fri 04-Jul-14 20:15:18

Yeah it's to do with the timing of sex relative to ovulation. But it's probabilities rather than guarantees afair.

1moretime Fri 04-Jul-14 20:16:11

Hi Poppy1980
There are many different sites that suggest trying different things in hope to conceive a girl, but not sure how true they are??
Iv never heard about the sudafed though, hopefully someone else will be along soon who can help. xx

Singsongmama Fri 04-Jul-14 20:17:56

I think frequency of doing deed is more likely going to affect the sex of child...or maybe it won't ....or maybe you'll have triplet boys...or maybe you won't conceive at all. Go ahead and have hopes but remember 'God laughs at our plans', you have no control over this and there are woman all over the wworld desperate for any baby so count your blessings, you already know this though cos you asked not to be flamed. Good luck TCC and with any future pregnancy.

1moretime Fri 04-Jul-14 20:18:19

It is said that if you have sex leading up to ov 2-3 days before your chances of a girl are highly likely, and sex on ov day is more likely to be a boy. In my case i had sex on Ov day and i have a ds xxx

Dilligufdarling Fri 04-Jul-14 20:19:17

How certain are you about when you ovulate? If you dtd about 3/4 days before ovulation and then not at all for about a week then the chances f a girl should be higher.
Girl sperm swim slower but live longer - so will still be around 3/4 days later.
Boy sperm are faster but die quicker so of you dtd closer to when you ovulate then there's a higher chance of a boy.
Not really an exact science though...

scarletforya Fri 04-Jul-14 20:20:14

linky

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Fri 04-Jul-14 20:21:36

They don't have boy/girl sperm.

It's determined after the fertilisation.

Every one starts off as a girl then changes shortly after that's why men have nipples.

Nothing changes DNA!

Poppy1980 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:22:09

Sudafed reportedly dries up your EWCM which is boy friendly. It's just what particular sudafed (if any in particular) needs to be taken.

I love my DS to bits but can't be the only person TTC who might have a preference. I know most of the 'tips' on swaying might be rubbish and if I do end up with another DS I will love him completely.

ouryve Fri 04-Jul-14 20:23:05

Try it. You've a 50:50 chance of getting a girl.

todayiamfat Fri 04-Jul-14 20:25:55

I dtd on day of ovulation (to give dh 'his boy' hmm) we have a girl (dd2). When we found out her sex I was a little disappointed. This turned to enormous guilt when she nearly died at delivery and has gone and still going through lots of crap with health conditions nealry a year later.

I say let fate decide. Let it go. I really beat myself up from the day of that 20 week scan and then even more so the weeks after her birth.

Fwiw, I love the fact I have 2 girls now! And I have been told by several hcp that the fact she was a girl was in her favour when it came to survival (very very prem) and so now I am extremely grateful.

todayiamfat Fri 04-Jul-14 20:27:05

Oh, and all 12 babies in the last 3 generations on my dm side have been girls!

Dilligufdarling Fri 04-Jul-14 20:32:28

Softlysoftly... Sorry to say sperm are either X chromosome or Y chromosome. All eggs are X
If an x (girl) sperm fertilises the egg then it will be XX and a girl. If a y (boy) sperm fertilises the egg then it will be XY and a boy.

Obv there are people who are xxy or Xyy but under "normal" circs there are indeed boy sperm and girl sperm.

Poppy1980 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:32:35

todayiamfat so sorry to hear of your DD's health problems. Hope she's ok.

I just feel if I've tried to sway what I can then I've done all I can. I do believe what will be will be and if that's another boy then I will have the two best sons in the world.

(All I wanted to know was what type of sudafed to take - blush )

scarletforya Fri 04-Jul-14 20:35:42

Check the link I posted above Op!

GailLondon Fri 04-Jul-14 20:37:32

Not true softly, the gender is indeed solely dictated by whether the egg was fertilised by a 'girl' sperm containing an X chromosome or a 'boy' sperm containing a Y chromosome.
Yes it's true that all embryos start developing to the female template, but the ultimate gender that the embryo becomes is a direct result of having gained an X or Y chromosome from the fertilising sperm.
Now, whether X or Y containing sperm behave any differently once inside the female body is another matter!

Poppy1980 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:46:21

Thanks Scarlet

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Fri 04-Jul-14 21:10:02

I may have been pissed when I watched the baby program grin

As you were.....

Freya01234 Mon 14-Mar-16 11:01:58

Hi Poppy, did you find out which type of sudafed to take?
Did you end up conceiving a girl?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now