Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Have I had a miscarriage?

(14 Posts)
Haveimiscarried Tue 10-Jun-14 16:35:49

Hi,

Sorry to NC and sorry if this is not the right place for this question, but hoping someone can help.

We were TTC between October and April, but I then got offered a new job in a different area so we wanted to wait until we had moved and got settled before starting TTC again. So I started to take the pill again at the beginning of May.

We DTD on 18th and 19th April (ovulating just after) when we were still trying but sex was protected (with pill) after that.
I then started the pill and have taken a packet back-to-back since then. So have not had a period since before we DTD because of that.

I POAS mid-May just in case but it was negative. So didn't think much more of it.
Have had agonising sore boobs for ages though and period type cramps. Put this down to re-starting the pill.

Anyway, yesterday I started bleeding. Really baffled because I hadn't started my 'break' in the pill so it wasn't expected. But again, just thought it was one of those things. Also booked in for a wax on Thursday so thought it was Sod's law kicking in!!

But then, about an hour ago, I went to change my tampon, and (sooo sorry to get graphic) but at the end of the tampon was like a sack of skin. A bit like chicken skin in feel I guess? Although thinner maybe. It was a greyish colour but obviously with blood on and a bit veiny. Also a small string at the end. I panicked and washed it in the sink to try and work out what it was (don't ask me why I thought of doing that!) but then just thought I'd google it so flushed it down the loo.

I did of course google, and all I am finding is stuff about miscarriage. Is this what has happened do you think? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sorry for the essay!

theonewiththenoisychild Tue 10-Jun-14 17:40:28

my friend had this sad she was told it was a mc

theonewiththenoisychild Tue 10-Jun-14 17:43:34

i would suggest asking the doctor tho just to check (((hugs)))

Haveimiscarried Tue 10-Jun-14 18:59:52

Thank you. Unfortunately I've just moved house and I'm not registered with a doctor yet so not sure if there is anywhere I could go to confirm it.

Wish I hadn't just flushed it now sad

purplemurple1 Tue 10-Jun-14 19:25:59

When I tried taking two packs of pill back to back my 'period' came anyway ie while I was still taking the pill and it was very heavy with clots. I also had much worse than normal period pain - to the point the waves of pain stopped me moving.

I don't know why tbh but I def wasn't having a mc as I wasn't sexually active yet.

Maybe it's something similar.

Haveimiscarried Tue 10-Jun-14 20:21:10

Hopefully. What were the clots like? I've had clots occasionally before and they gave me a fright but not as much as this did!

I took the pill back to back all the time before TTC, but I initially thought symptoms etc were just my body reacting differently to them this time round, like you say.

Really hope you are right!

The plus side is, I have stopped bleeding completely since the incident which is nice!

purplemurple1 Tue 10-Jun-14 20:54:31

Sorry I was only 15 at the time, I just remember the clots were 'big' (bit bigger than peas maybe) I didn't look closely as I was home alone and fairly upset about it all.
Although I do remember crying to my sister on the phone but an hour or so later when she got home it was all finished and I felt fine.

I've had a 5 week mc (when I was older) and the bleeding was similar but much longer (double my normal period). I suppose that would be even more so with a later mc.

Fyi I found out recently that my hormones aren't quite right so I've needed to take hormone pills to reduce prolactin levels to conceive. Might be worth having in mind when you try again.

Haveimiscarried Tue 10-Jun-14 21:00:56

Oh thank you, that's helpful. Hopefully we can start trying again soon once we've settled into our new home.
I haven't bled anywhere near as much as other stories I've read about MCs, so I'm clinging on to that.

Does anyone know of a walk-in centre that would be able to advise on this? I think it would be too late to tell by the time I'd registered with new doc and arranged appointment wouldn't it?

purplemurple1 Tue 10-Jun-14 21:04:31

You could do a preg test, the first few days after my mc they still came up positive. A blood test might be more sensitive but tbh even when I knew I was mc at that stage they can't help so didn't offer any support.
To confirm a completed mc I was told to retest after 3 weeks to see if it was negative.

purplemurple1 Tue 10-Jun-14 21:08:02

Sorry I could have suggested that earlier, took my brain a while to get there.
Good luck with getting an answer.

Haveimiscarried Fri 20-Jun-14 18:41:16

Hi purple, just popping back to say thank you for your help. I had it confirmed that it was a miscarriage. What a horrible week it has been sad

theonewiththenoisychild Sat 21-Jun-14 06:41:51

so sorry thanks sad

1moretime Sat 21-Jun-14 22:04:17

Awww big hugs to you hun.
So so sorry. Xxx

purplemurple1 Wed 02-Jul-14 08:41:38

So sorry to hear that, it does get easier as time passes.
thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: