Talk

Advanced search

Please help, i'm in so much pain...can I take penicillin ttc?

(8 Posts)
YouMaySayImADreamer Wed 02-Apr-14 01:45:19

Please can someone help...I have been ttc, cycle number 2, not due on period for another week so still in limbo.

I have absolutely raging bacterial tonsillitis and my tonsils feel fit to explode! I went to the oohs on Monday to see if they could prescribe anything that was safe, explained I had been ttc but was mid tww. The nurse was abrupt to say the least in her manner, said it should be ok to take antibiotics but that it it was my risk to take - which in itself is fine as I understand they can't test these things, but she then made me do a pregnancy test which nine days before my period was pointless as nothing was going to show up. I suspect she was just trying to clear herself but I left less than reassured/informed which is what I went hoping to gain and haven't taken the antiobiotics.

Just wondering if anyone knows at all whether it is generally known to be safe to take penicillin around possible conception/early pregnancy time...just wondering if I am doing more harm than good not taking them and am also in agony! Thanks

Cupcake92 Wed 02-Apr-14 05:42:07

Can I ask what they are called?
There are some antibiotics that are safe even when pregnant. The infection won't be good if it turns out u are pregnant as could harm the baby so either way the infection needs clearing ASAP
I was on quite a few before and while I was pregnant

LettertoHermioneGranger Wed 02-Apr-14 05:58:58

Penicillin is safe to take during pregnancy! Leaving an infection is potentially harmful to you and baby. It should not interfere with conception at all. Take them.

At this point, if you are pregnant, it's not more than some cells sticking to your uterine wall. The antibiotics won't even reach baby, you don't start "sharing" things you ingest until I think five weeks.

YouMaySayImADreamer Wed 02-Apr-14 06:51:23

Hi thanks so much for replying...cupcake they are called phenoxymethylpenicillin. That's what I was worried about, I thought maybe they could affect conception in the first place which I didn't want as we gave it a damn good go this month! Or worse that they could cause defects in the embryo at such an early stage. I was really looking for some guidance on this when I visited the ooh but the information I got was terrible.

It had crossed my mind that the infection could be a bigger risk than not taking them but I didn't feel informed enough to make thar decision. I don't seem to be figting it off on my own though so it probably is heading that way. Thanks for your advice

Cupcake92 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:18:04

Hey yeah that type of penicillin is absolutely fine.
So please do take it as it's very important to get rid of the infection! Epecially If u could be pregnant. Any type of infection needs to be dealt with ASAP when pregnant or could possible be pregnant as it could harm the baby.
Make sure u finish the whole course smile and good luck when u test and I hope u get ur bfp!

Missingatrick Wed 02-Apr-14 18:00:16

Thanks cupcake really appreciate the advice. I have started taking it today and am hoping for a better night.

Thank you, only another week to wait until I can test now!

midwifeandmum Wed 02-Apr-14 18:06:12

Yip pp is absolutely correct. They are fine to take. I think the nurse' main concern should of been your infection spreading to potential baby. She should also of asked doctors advice about these antibiotics and pregnancy. A two second check of BNF would of saved you this hassel.

I feel for you. Its taken me a month to get over my bout of bacterial tonsilitis. two rounds of antibiotics and my throats still sore.

Best of luck with ttc. Fingers crossed and a speedy recovery x

YouMaySayImADreamer Wed 02-Apr-14 18:24:34

Whoops forgot to nc back on my pp blush oh well!

Thanks very much midwife that's really kind of you - its not pleasant is it!

I think they were really busy as one of the other nurses said it had been a bad day. I was trying to make the point with the first nurse that there was a possibility that I could be pregnant and I would find out seven days into the ten day course of antibiotics, but she insisted on treating me as though I definately wasn't pregnant which worried me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now