Talk

Advanced search

Can someone talk me through ivf please

(5 Posts)
GBOB1 Thu 27-Mar-14 21:15:52

Me and hubby have been ttc for 3 years for number 2, we've had fertility tests and I've got low amh think they said 5. The consultant basically said 15% chance per iui cycle or 22% chance if we did ivf. We went away and thought about it and think Ivf will have to be the way forward for us. I don't know anyone who has been through it and we haven't told anyone we have been trying so long just feel I have no one to talk too. Can anyone explain simply just what happens xx

SoonToBeSix Thu 27-Mar-14 21:19:19

Hi I don't don't about ivf but if you ask the mods to move this to infertility you might get better advice

moggle Thu 27-Mar-14 21:52:08

There are two ways of doing it, the one I know about is 'long protocol'. You take drugs for a couple of weeks to shut down your ovaries ("down regulation"); then you have a period and instead of your lining building up it remains thin. You then carry on with those drugs and start taking drugs which build up your lining and also starts the ovary follicles growing (stimulation). Usually in a cycle one lead follicle grows and the others just wither, but the drugs make all the follicles keep growing. Most of them will have eggs in. After 1-2 wks of stimulation your eggs are mature enough to be collected, which is done under a sedative or anaesthetic. While that is happening or just before your partner produces a sample which is added to the eggs in Petri dishes. Hopefully the eggs fertilise and become embryos, they are then put back in your womb usually at either 3 days or 5 days after fertilisation. Then you wait around 11 days to find out if you're pregnant! If you have spare embryos that are looking good they can be frozen and used later.
In short protocol you don't down regulate first and go straight to stimulation once you've had a period.
22% is a great chance, as good as a 25 year old trying naturally!
Can I recommend the forum at fertilityfriends.co.uk, some very knowledgeable people over there. It seems so overwhelming at the start but as you learn more it does become less so, I promise. Good luck! xx

Pipbin Thu 27-Mar-14 21:54:29

I don't have anything to add really to what Moggle said, but I have been through IVF twice. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Shroomboom Fri 28-Mar-14 17:10:48

Sorry you find yourself in this position but there is lots of hope - I had an AMH level of 0.2 but after 5 rounds of IVF we now have a beautiful 9 week old dd smile Your AMH level is so much better than mine was!
Please PM me if you want to know more, have to go now as dd crying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now