Talk

Advanced search

How often is best to have sex around ovulation?

(13 Posts)
Shocktothesystem Tue 25-Mar-14 22:01:54

I am on month 2 of ttc no2. I'm not tracking ovulation strictly - only very vaguely by counting days and being aware of cm.

Im around my fertile time this week, and trying to soft through conflicting information. I have heard a lot of "have sex every other day" but I am scared to miss my day of ovulation, so would every day do any harm to our efforts?

Deenamumof1 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:36:49

When I was trying I counted 14 days into my 28 day cycle and that's when I was most fertile, I used to try every morning as someone told me sperm is at its best in the morning, I also took folic acid, and my parner took zinc.
I also used to sit upside down for half an hour after it lol, gravity and all that
you can use this ovulation calculator I used it.

http://www.babycenter.com/ovulation-calculator

hope this works for you x

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 26-Mar-14 10:45:48

Having sex every other day is generally enough for an average, fertile couples. No reason why daily sex or more would be detrimental to TTC.

Don't do that 14 day thing however unless you're reasonably sure that is when you ovulate. I ovulate on day 11, day 14 would be way too late to be fertile. I'd also recommend NOT lying with your legs in the air afterwards. Not only does it not aid conception, it can cause UTIs. You should go for a wee soon after sex.

Deenamumof1 Wed 26-Mar-14 11:46:48

Thats why I sent the ovulation calculator link to help her with her own cycle,
I dont think it scientifically proven to cause UTIs just if your prone to them, It could cause irritation.
It helped me get pregnant so just a bit of friendly advice smile

Raxacoricofallapatorius Wed 26-Mar-14 12:56:18

That ovulation calculator tells me I am likely to be fertile at a time I am not. They're based on averages, and some women will find them utterly inaccurate. Not peeing post sex can cause UTIs. We know this. And it doesn't aid conception to lie upside down post sex. It doesn't work like that.

Deenamumof1 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:17:01

Hmmm sorry doctor

Deenamumof1 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:18:53

Well it all seemed to work for me, I fell pregnant first month of trying just sharing my story smile

dietcoketime69 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:19:53

Miaow raxa! I think deen is just trying to be helpful...and in fact there's lots of research out there supporting lying down after sex so perhaps you shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's input.

Shocktothesystem Wed 26-Mar-14 20:33:44

Thanks all fot sharing your experiences, always good to hear what has worked for people! Im a bit confused by this tracking of ovulation though....why do you need to as surely if you have sex every other day throughout the month or even just through the two weeks following your period, you are bound to catch ovulation?

I have had sex at least every other day, sometimes consecutive days since the end of my period and will continue to until I am about a week before af is due and when i'm likely to be past ovulation. We will just have it then it if we feel like it...how would the outcome be different if i knew exactly when I ovulated? Just curious really as don't want to start worrying myself too much!

Nottalotta Wed 26-Mar-14 21:17:40

shock I think if you dtd eod or every day it doesn't really matter when you ovulate. As you say you will catch it.

I however have failed miserably in this task managing a maximum of 6 times in a cycle! And having started ov tests this month, I now realise I've been targetting the wrong time. I ov'd day 8. Not day 14!

Shocktothesystem Wed 26-Mar-14 21:39:40

Oooh that is interesting to hear Nottalotta thank you, I will definately bear that in mind. To be honest I know that if I don't get pregnant in the next couple of cycles I will probably end up trying some opks to see if I am miss judging things. Im just a bit scared of this because I know I will get obsessed and stressed, and if it doesnt happen even when targeting ovulation precisely, I will stress even more!

I cant say I am always up for dtd as often as I am either...working long days and with our 14mo keeping me hisg in between, I'm shattered!

Shocktothesystem Wed 26-Mar-14 21:40:25

That was meant to say 'busy'!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Thu 27-Mar-14 09:38:59

I wasn't being catty or rude, just offering friendly, accurate advice. I'm sorry if it reads that way, problem of online forums, but I gave only statements of fact. I can't help the fact that it contradicts other anecdotal advice given. I know that something like an ovulation calculator can give a woman seemingly clear information which might actually hamper your chances if you rely on it. As I said, if I didn't know my body and listened to a generic, online calculator, it would completely miss my fertile window. They are okay as a generalised guide in an average woman but you might not be Miss Average. And the gravity thing does not aid conception, a healthy sperm ejaculated into a vagina will find its way regardless. What falls out after sex is irrelevant. In fact there's an argument to suggest that you should let the dud sperm exit asap, the good ones find their way regardless. I just don't want the op to feel she should do certain things or she is lessening her chances. It's hard enough TTC as it is. Happens nine months later too with women feeling if only I did x or y and I'd have achieved a natural delivery. A lot of it is pure luck and anecdote and old wives' tales are fun and harmless, but the facts need stating too.

Op, if you are having sex throughout your cycle, then you are following the advice for a couple with no known fertility problems and pinpointing ovulation isn't necessary. In fact, it often introduces stress to what should be an enjoyable time. Just remember that even sex timed exactly right in a young, fertile couple has a 25% chance of resulting in conception. If it doesn't happen immediately, this is normal. You should expect it to take up to a year, probably less with a bit of luck but regular sex, no fertility problems and you should never berate yourself that it hasn't happened straight away. The very best of luck to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now