Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to regain fertility after ending BF: am I too skinny?

(8 Posts)
clementinesandbananas Mon 24-Mar-14 14:03:53

I stopped BF #2 a month ago when he turned 12m.

Whilst I was BF I got regular ovulatory cycles since she was about 6/7m but my period was always incredibly light: hardly noticeable. It hasn't really changed since stopping BF as I assumed it would (by the end she was only on one or max two feeds a day).

I'm stressing about whether this is normal and I just need to give it time or whether it's something else.

The one thing I think it would be, if anything, is my weight. My BMI is 19 and my body fat is 17.7% according to the scales this morning. I exercise a lot and am very active in my daily life. I eat very regularly but (?) very healthily: lots of fruit, veg, beans etc. (mainly veggie). I've had comprehensive blood tests recently (including thyroid) and everything is bang on - the doctor couldn't see any problems.

I was 6lb heavier when I fell pg with #2 and about a stone heavier when I fell pg with #1 (both first month of ttc).

Is it my weight that's stopping everything clicking back or am I just being impatient? Any wisdom appreciated!

Blondie276 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:46:42

I don't know I'm afraid but I'm in a similar situation. I BF for 2 months and stopped 5 weeks ago. I still haven't had a period since dd birth so assuming no ovulation either. We are wanting to start TTC #2 so I'm impatiently waiting the return of my cycles. It's been 5 weeks since stopping BF - do you think it's normal? Do I just need the art of patience?
I think we both need to give our bodies chance to 'regulate' so doubt you have anything to worry about as pretty sure your gp would have said something.
Wish we could speed it up! I'm taking b6 to regulate hormones so worth a try?

clementinesandbananas Mon 24-Mar-14 18:03:01

Wow - that'll be a small gap!!

Sorry that you're so frustrated too but it's reassuring.. I took 6m to get a period after coming off the pill so maybe I'm just a slow starter...

I'm already taking Agnus Castus which seemed to help with conceiving previously (at the very least, it didn't hinder it!). I'll check the levels of b6 in my prenatal too.

Think I'm going to try to put on a few pounds: I got pregnant at 126lb with #2 so I clearly 'work' at that weight!!

Monkeybubbles1 Mon 24-Mar-14 18:03:07

Maybe try eating more fat in your diet? Could be your hormones just resettling themselves after all the changes.

keeponjuggling Tue 25-Mar-14 12:00:35

Hi ladies, I didn't want to read and run.
I had to put on around 9 pounds to regulate my cycle and conceive my DS. So that might be a factor.

I also feel compelled to mention that I've been advised by numerous health professionals your body needs approx 1 year to recover from pregnancy and labour before conceiving again. Obviously this is not the case for many ladies out there, who have gone on to have more healthy pregnancies and babies very soon after. But I thought i'd offer it as a potential explanation for you're light AF etc. Good luck with everything.

clementinesandbananas Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:50

Thanks.

keepon - is that a year between giving birth and getting pregnant again? So you shouldn't get pg again until your baby is 12m old? Or is it a year between getting pg with #1 and then with #2?

naty1 Wed 26-Mar-14 09:36:23

Have you had your prolactin checked?

clementinesandbananas Wed 26-Mar-14 16:21:04

No I haven't.

Should I? Is there anything that can be done if it's wonky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now