Talk

Advanced search

Want to get pregnant but waiting for Smear Test Results!! What to do?!

(18 Posts)
KatyLouise25 Mon 24-Mar-14 13:13:01

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could give me advice.
I'm waiting on smear results at the moment (could take two months) and I come off the pill today as me and my partner decided we want another baby.
Should I wait for the results before we start trying? I'm worried what would happen if I fell pregnant then had bad results back. Also, I've read its taken a few months or maybe more to conceive after coming off the pill. I've got to wait a week before I can attend a family planning clinic and I can't wait that long!
I feel all over the place at the moment really hope someone could offer their experience/advice smile
Thank you x x

stripeytiger Mon 24-Mar-14 13:38:32

Hi. Sounds like quite a long time to wait for your smear test result? I know it varies from area to area, but you may get it a bit sooner hopefully. Certainly might be wise to wait for the result before you start trying, sounds sensible to me.

In the meantime maybe you could concentrate on yourself, stocking up on folic acid, eat well and generally do all the things recommended prior to and whilst trying for a baby.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the result & that it is clear.

Good luck with TTC.

WipsGlitter Mon 24-Mar-14 13:42:24

Two months seems a very long time. I think mine were back within three weeks.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 24-Mar-14 13:44:10

I got mine back in two weeks when they said six. Call your doctors surgery and explain the situation and see if they can chase them up.

Northumberlandlass Mon 24-Mar-14 13:46:35

It is unlikely to take 2 months - 3 weeks is about the norm at the moment. I would suggest to wait - I had abnormal smear results last time and ended up with punch biopsy, and ultimately a Loop for CIN3 cells. I couldn't of had the treatment whilst pregnant.

I don't want to scare you & your result will most likely be fine, but in the big scheme of things, it's not long smile

Hope it all goes well for you.

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 24-Mar-14 13:50:31

Chase the GP after 2 weeks. But I thought it was recommended to wait until you have a normal period after coming off the pill (to aid dating etc) before TTC anyway? So you could always see if you get the results before your next period and if not chase them.

Tranquilitybaby Mon 24-Mar-14 13:54:25

I didn't wait to have a normal period before TTC and your fertility peaks immediately after coming off the pill. Seems a shame to miss it!

KatyLouise25 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:04:24

Thanks for your messages everyone. And I'm sorry to hear of your experience Northumberlandlass.
Hopefully it won't take as long as they said, and I think I will wait for the results as my Mum had abnormal results in the past. I'm just eager to get off the pill as I'm worried it could take a while to conceive.
Thanks again everyone x

clementinesandbananas Mon 24-Mar-14 17:25:45

I agree with waiting to ttc but I'd come off the pill immediately.

No idea why Tranquility thinks that fertility peaks immediately after coming off the pill: that's incorrect. It took me six months to get a period after stopping the pill and I'm not in anyway abnormal in that. Of course some women are immediately fertile again, but many aren't, and you don't know which category you'll fall into.

So I'd come off the pill and use contraception until you are ready to ttc: that way if it does take you a few months to become fertile again, you'll already be part way into that waiting game by the time you get your results back.

RPopz Mon 24-Mar-14 18:59:23

If your results are abnormal you will have them back in days, not weeks. X

babyrose Mon 24-Mar-14 20:55:08

Tranquil is right about being fertile after coming off the pill. U watched this morning a few months a go and there was a fertility Dr on saying this.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 25-Mar-14 00:03:03

I said it because it's true clementine

http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps30.html

clementinesandbananas Tue 25-Mar-14 02:06:25

Then clearly I and all the women on the multiple threads on this site whose fertility took months to return after being on the pill are either lying or medical anomalies.

I could have shagged five times a day, every day for the first six months after coming off the pill and I would not have got pregnant.

Not coming off the pill in order not to 'waste' an apparently amazing window of fertility once she does will be a decision the OP regrets if she is one of the (many, many) women who take longer than three minutes to get fertile again.

WipsGlitter Tue 25-Mar-14 07:35:02

There is a fertility surge, but that doesn't guarantee pregnancy will occur.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 25-Mar-14 10:51:26

Not sure why the aggression, but I saw a fertility consultabt and that was what I was told. I didn't say it was guaranteed to work but it's been found there is a surge immediately after coming off.

The op will have to make up their own kind what option to go for.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 25-Mar-14 10:54:29

The pill hormones are out of your body within a couple of days, but if there were issues with ovulation, fertility or irregular periods before going on the pill, that will obviously go back to the same after coming off.

Northumberlandlass Tue 25-Mar-14 16:12:07

Thanks Katy, I'm all sorted now (fingers crossed).
Think it's wise to wait - it won't be long smile

KatyLouise25 Sat 29-Mar-14 21:49:11

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.
Not sure how to tag people in replies, but will take on board everyone's comments smile and I didn't mean to start a debate either!
xXx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now