Talk

Advanced search

I can imagine the collective eye roll now...

(8 Posts)
MsFoxwell Mon 24-Mar-14 11:39:45

I'm something of a lurker on these forums, have been ttc with DH since the middle of last year. I have the worlds most irregular cycles. Have been known to go 3 months with no af (brilliant when young, free and single - not so good when trying to create the merkul o' laaaf). I've had a good bash at charting my temps in the past but frankly, I was rubbish at it. Usually already up and halfway through a cuppa before I remembered to take my temp...

So that brings me to now. DH and I had come to the conclusion we may need medical help with this, and had somewhat taken a break from actively "trying" while we considered our options. We were just going with the flow.

We dtd on the 13 and 14 mar and since the 20th I've been having very pale pinky browny spotting (five days of it now). Unlike anything I've experienced before - usually my periods are SUPER heavy and painful, with sore boobs and awful cramping. Nada this time though. Tested on the 21st and today, BFN. No other symptoms at all.

I suppose what I'm asking is, even though I have zero idea if and when I may have ovulated, could this be my period, or dare I get a tiny bit excited and think it may be implantation bleeding?
When would I expect a BFP if I am? I don't want to waste tests or get upset with the neg ones xx

cookielove Mon 24-Mar-14 12:16:01

Hello, no eye rolls from me i know exactly how frustrating this can be!!

I know what you mean about temping, i almost bought the thermometer (after much nagging from my obsessed sister) but decided in the end that i just wouldn't remember to do it (i'm the lazy one)

Are you still bleeding/spotting now? It does sound like an implantation bleed, but if that were the case i would leave it another week to let the HCG build up in your system.

Have you had any tests? to see whether you are ovulating or maybe have PCOS, going without a period for 3 months would suggest this. If you do go to the dr's they should give you a day 21 test to see if you are ovulating however this may not be accurate due to you having random periods. They may turn you away as they often say that you have to be trying for at least 1 or 2 years before they will investigate further.

I do think it is important that you get to the dr's (if this turns out not to be a bfp) just so he is aware of where you are any way, and see what he may offer you.

Good luck smile

MsFoxwell Mon 24-Mar-14 14:48:15

Hey thanks cookie!
Still spotting but only just, nothing on liner and just a barely perceptible beige when wiping ( tmi, sorry!) checked my cp and it's high & very squishy - curiouser and curiouser!!

No tests, have a sneaking suspiscion I have PCOS due to other things, but I am truly terrible at addressing health concerns - hate feeling like a pest!

I'm going to make a drs appointment, just to have a chat I think. My husband is very much in the "it'll happen when it happens" camp. I think he is of the mind that fertility problems don't happen to young (ish) couples!

Thanks for your advice xx

blamber Mon 24-Mar-14 16:51:18

Go see the GP. If it's pcos, you would want that checked out. With long cycles there's a chance you are not ovulating on your own. Also tell the GP about your heavy periods. Just tell your DH that having trouble with your cycles has nothing to do with age!

If your cervix is very high and soft, this would suggest ovulation time. Are you getting the egg white cervical mucus and is the opening quite large?

If it's implantation it would take 3-4 days for the hcg to show on a test. But implantation bleeds are quite rare, there's usually a different reason for spotting.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 24-Mar-14 16:52:10

No eye roll here from me either. I have been where you are in terms of such irregularity of periods.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances; in this respect a condition called polycystic ovaries or its related syndrome
PCOS are common culprits. Another possible cause is problems with the thyroid gland.

It is certainly in your interests to get this further investigated and from there to receive a diagnosis of the underlying problem. Spotting between periods too should be investigated to ascertain the underlying cause (it may be due to lack of progesterone). I do not think that its implantation bleeding in your case.

Unfortunately your DH is incorrect, subfertility does happen to young couples as well as older ones. It is truly no respecter of persons.

I would ask/insist on the GP to refer you to a subfertility unit as you're nearly at the 12 month mark now in any case. If your periods too are also super heavy and or painful then this should be checked out further as well.

As periods are so irregular anyway blood tests can actually be done according to calendar days; they can and should do a day 2 test initially to check your LH level against that of FSH. These two levels are very important as they kickstart the ovulation process, if these levels are awry then ovulation will be affected.

Do have a chat with the GP and get a referral whilst you are there as well.

MsFoxwell Mon 24-Mar-14 22:02:48

well, to keep you updated - spotting had completely stopped and myself and my dh were intimate this affy, just short of full on dtd. but I reckon having an O may have triggered AF as it has started this evening sad She's just been playing silly buggers for five days. sigh

Thank you for all your help and advice - you ladies speak a lot of sense ;)

blamber Mon 24-Mar-14 22:51:24

Sorry you got your AF. But on the other hand, it's always good to have your cycle going. Good luck and I hope you will go and see your GP.

cookielove Tue 25-Mar-14 08:50:32

Sorry to hear af got you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now