Talk

Advanced search

How long would you wait for dog to grow up before TTC?

(6 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Sun 23-Mar-14 19:11:31

We got a puppy last year. He is nearly 6 months old.

We are planning to TTC July onwards when dog will be neutered , and growing up.

If we had the most brilliant luck the earliest a baby would arrive would be this time next year.

Is that old enough to bring baby in with dog?

RPopz Sun 23-Mar-14 20:06:48

Interesting question. We have a cocker spaniel puppy who is 9 months old and we are ttc and have been doing since we got him 6 months ago!

What exactly is it that you're worried about having the dog and the baby together?

I think it would depend on his breed, calmness and his level of training on how he takes to having a baby around. You can make things easier for him in the run up though. Have the baby things (pram etc) around so he gets used to seeing, smelling them. Phone apps or cds are available with baby noises, crying etc on them which you play to the dog at gradually increasing volumes to get them used to the sounds. If you are his main care giver/ attention giver/ walker then you may have to think about taking a back seat for a while, to get him used to having less attention from you - which will be inevitable when the baby comes. Introduce him to other babies and children if you can, reward him with food treats for being calm and well mannered around them.

In some cases I guess you just have to accept that however hard you try, they won't like it. My friend's dog sulked under the stairs for about a year solid after their baby arrived. They were sick with guilt but she eventually came round.

Good luck x

Beaverfeaver Sun 23-Mar-14 20:31:05

I don't think the dog would mind at all.

He is a Viszla and loves everything (a bit too much) he is just very excitable still

RPopz Sun 23-Mar-14 20:34:39

He'll calm down a little as he gets older. Personally I think the younger the dog is, the easier it is for them to get used to having a child around. Dogs are very adaptable also.

Beaverfeaver Sun 23-Mar-14 20:59:37

Thanks RPopz.

That makes me feel a lot more at ease

RPopz Sun 23-Mar-14 21:47:23

You're welcome :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now