Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ttc and been told they have a fibroid?

(9 Posts)
Inshock73 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:58:01

Whilst having a scan after my mc the sonographer casually mentioned I have a small fibroid, I thought nothing of it until I mentioned it to my sister who's a nurse and immediately told me how women often have hysterectomies because of fibroids etc etc.... Anyone else have a fibroid and ttc? or have a fibroid and are now pregnant?

Thanks all!

eurochick Sat 22-Mar-14 14:01:23

It depends on the type and location as to whether they cause a problem. I have 3 small intramural fibroids. I have had indepth fertility investigations and been told that they were not causing any problems. I am now 17 weeks pregnant (after IVF). Our fertility problems seemed to be around sperm meeting egg. Once an embryo was put in the right place, I did ok.

NigellasDealer Sat 22-Mar-14 14:01:30

i had at least one of those and it created no problem at all with my pregnancy. it just got a bit bigger, then it shrunk again.
is your sister quite old? i believe it used to be the MO to do a hysterectomy as that happened to my mum for the same reason but that was way back in the 1970s when surgeons were far more gung ho. if you are concerned ask your doctor.

Inshock73 Sat 22-Mar-14 14:06:40

Thank you both SO much! x

Nigellas your comment has made me lol! My sister is 46 and a theatre nurse, she revels in telling me way too much info about all the operations she's assisted on and she enjoys it because I'm so squeamish. She's a bit of a drama queen smile

StickyFloor Sat 22-Mar-14 14:30:05

I had a hysterectomy because of an enormous fibroid but I was happy with that as do not want anymore kids and it was really bothering me.

However, although my fibroid was HUGE ie the size of a 20 week pregnancy (!) the consultant told me I didn't have to have it done if I didn't want to or might have wanted to try for more children in future and he said there are plenty of women with small and large fibroids who leave them be because they aren't causing them any trouble, and they do often shrink.

SO basically fibroid is not automatically a cause for panic and definitely not an automatic hysterectomy nowdays.

Inshock73 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:14:01

Thank you Stickyfloor that's a real comfort. I'm shocked your fibroid was so big, I had no idea they could be so big!

brettgirl2 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:52:21

I was told I had one when preg with dd2. It did cause me some pain at about 30 weeks but it didn't bother baby. It took me much longer to get pregnant with her than first time round but only 7 months. tbh I think this was pure coincidence. Your sister is a big drama queen wink

brettgirl2 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:53:12

Oh and 3 years later I still have my womb and the fibroid causes no problems!

Inshock73 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:33:54

Thank you brett that's so good to hear and I'm pleased it didn't cause problems for your DD and you're right sister is a huge drama queen! smile

Eurochick Congrats on your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now