Talk

Advanced search

How long did it take you to start ovulating again after weight loss?

(5 Posts)
WhatWouldCaitlinDo Wed 19-Mar-14 09:12:43

We are currently TTC DC2. I have a stressful job (which I enjoy, and which we need financially) and a toddler and haven't been eating properly. (I don't have any problems with food).

My periods have been very regular, but this month I had bleeding on days 15 - 17, just after when I should have ovulated, and my OPKs didn't pick up any ovulation. I weighed myself and got a bit of a fright, and have been working very hard on gaining weight again.

My period is now 4 days late (but I'm not pregnant), so my question is, how long until I start ovulating again? I'm back at the weight I was when I had last month's period, but no joy yet. Is there anything I can do to kick start ovulation? Can a GP help, or do I just need to sit it out and keep eating?

fraggle84 Wed 19-Mar-14 16:40:41

hi caitlin I was on the thread with you about mid cycle bleeding and wanted to let you know I havent had af either.
I saw my gp yesterday who sent me for a hcg blood test but said its very unlikely im pregnant. he thought it was ovulation bleeding but as ive had ewcm from thurs im suspecting it was an early af as ive had positive opks

dont know if it helps but thought it was interesting that we both had the bleed and havent haf af

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Thu 20-Mar-14 10:49:04

Well, I did a pregnancy test last night, and it was positive. Then I did another one because I was so shocked. And that was positive too. I'm about a week late. I'm totally stunned (but thrilled). Crossing legs, fingers and toes that it sticks.

Let me know where you get to with your GP, please.

Good luck.

frogslegs35 Thu 20-Mar-14 10:51:40

I'd see the GP if your next period is still not normal.
It doesn't sound like you lost that much weight if you've managed to put it back up again quickly but to interfere with ovulation and therefore your period could depend on how low your body fat % is. As far as I'm aware it's got to be very very low to have an effect. There's also some info that says a very low calorie diet and also regularly using way more energy than what you're putting into your body can have a negative effect on hormones.

I once sent my cycle haywire for 2 months after I began a new exercise regime - I went into it all guns blazing, it was quite heavy. This was around 7-10 days before I should have ov'd and it delayed it. By the 3rd month it was back to normal.
Stress can do it too.

Try vit b6 to help regulate your cycle.

fraggle84 Thu 20-Mar-14 11:52:25

congratulationssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now