Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Using Clearblue Dual Hormone Ovulation sticks?

(8 Posts)
bessie84 Tue 18-Mar-14 12:27:49

2nd cycle of using these sticks, have a few questions.

1) when i eject the stick after testing, despite having a "peak" face, why arent the lines on the test positive like "normal" ov sticks?(ie: the first line not as dark as the second)

2) also, when would i ovulate after a peak face? i got my peak thursday, so dtd thursday/friday/saturday.

3) had twinges friday, so would i have ovulated friday?

4) had globs of what looked like stringy stretchy cm yesterday, but there was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much of it, how do i know if it was sperm stuff or cm?

5) are these sticks actually reliable.

last cycle i deffo ovulated as my cd21 progesterone was 167 (was on clomid). this cycle, its my first unmedicated cycle and altho i got my peak on thursday, i just havent a clue when i ovulated.

sorry for talking shite.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Mar-14 12:36:07

I would actually not use the kits at all in your circumstances. Multiple false positive results can and do happen.

Clomid is given when there are problems with ovulation; do you have a diagnosis of the underlying problem?. Why is this cycle your first unmedicated one and who prescribed the clomid originally?.

They are of little use if clomid is used (clomid can influence hormone levels markedly) or if the menstrual cycle is irregular.

bessie84 Tue 18-Mar-14 12:48:05

i have pcos, my fertility consultant gave us 12 months of clomid, managed 8 cycles of it until this month where i cant do no more (side effects were shocking!)

not on clomid this cycle, but thought id check with clearblue to see if i ovulate on my own.

last months cycle (on clomid) got my peak on cd12.......... this cycle (no clomid) got peak cd13.

i never should have started using them as theyre stressing me now.

cd 19 today and bloated and in pain/constipated and emotional.

damn this ttc lark!!

x

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Mar-14 13:15:39

Bessie,

Would stop using the OPKs with immediate effect.

With PCOS it is highly unlikely that you are ovulating on your own.

OPKs are absolutely hopeless when it comes to PCOS and should not be used at all. They give multiple and false positive results. These kits measure LH; if you are one of many PCOSers who has an excess of LH to start with, the kit simply measures that level.

Clomid should only be used for a max of six months after which time other treatments should be tried, some PCOSers can develop clomid resistance. Clomid also should never be taken without monitoring.
There are other treatments out there that can and should be tried now; two are injectable drugs to stimulate ovulation and ovarian diathermy surgery.

I would return to the GP and see if you can get a second opinion; this lot who you have seen have really given you the runaround and do not seem to know what to do with you now.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk is a good website.

bessie84 Tue 18-Mar-14 13:50:06

thanks hun, will stop using them.

im having lap&dye next and onto iui. x

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 18-Mar-14 14:46:55

I would be asking these people some awkward questions as of now and certainly before you have surgery. Are YOU happy about all this?.

Why are they suggesting a laparoscopy?. (Usually this is done when endometriosis is suspected). Also that will not deal directly with your polycystic ovaries unless the surgeon uses an electrical laser or needle to puncture the cystic follicles. Is this going to be done, what is the purpose of the lap?. I would find out as much info in advance about what they intend to do.

In any event a follow up appointment should be arranged say a week post op to discuss the findings. Also it is bad practice for them to try and talk to you about the op when you are in the recovery room; do not allow that to happen to you!. That scenario has happened to others.

I would also talk to them at some length about IUI. IUI also will not directly address the problem of the cystic follicles on your ovaries. The cystic follicles associated with PCOS do disappear only to be replaced by further cystic follicles.

The dye part of this could also be done by having a HSG done which is a tubal x-ray. This can be done whilst you are awake.

AuntieBrenda Sun 23-Mar-14 08:55:31

Attila - are you in the medical field as you're dishing out quite direct orders to the OP

AuntieBrenda Sun 23-Mar-14 08:56:34

Oh and I'm pretty sure OP is aware of all the potential procedures etc . You're coming off as quite blunt and rude when I'm sure you intended to be helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now