Talk

Advanced search

Thermometers

(5 Posts)
CakeInMyFace Mon 10-Mar-14 13:55:54

I haven't started taking my temp yet but would like to start in order to help determine if I'm ovulating properly or not. Can anyone tell me a reliable thermometer that is easy to use? Also, is it literally first thing in the morning when you need to take the temp? What if you wake up in the middle of the night and then fall back asleep again? Does this matter?

willitbe Mon 10-Mar-14 21:05:29

I would highly recommend going on fertilityfriend.com. For information.

Thermometers, normal (not ear) thermometer can be used but two decimal places are recommended. Also you can get ones where they remember the temp so that you don't have to wake up to write it down immediately, but this is not essential.

blamber Tue 11-Mar-14 11:09:23

I would recommend one with a memory function, because you take it as soon as you wake up and when it's still dark you won't have to turn on the lights and disturb your SO to read the temperature.

I used to have a standard boots one, but it took ages to read a temp. I now have a Geratherm one, which is really fast. It beeps when it has taken your temp, but it is not too loud. It memorises the last 10 readings and is backlit so you don't even have to turn on the lights. It reads with a 2 decimal accuracy. It takes reliable readings as well. You can get cheaper ones though.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Basal-cycle-digital-thermometer-family-planning-ovulation-chart-included-/171246738962?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item27df19de12

blamber Tue 11-Mar-14 11:11:32

As long as you get 3 hours interrupted sleep, the temperature will be accurate. If you've been waking up, you may get a higher reading. However, since you take readings all month it will be easy to spot one that is higher than all the others and you can choose to discard it. I use the fertility friend app, which is really handy and free.

CakeInMyFace Tue 11-Mar-14 12:57:55

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll have a look at fertilityfriend. Thanks for the ebay link as well - I'll pick one up. It seems really confusing me but I'm probably over-complicating it! Am going to start doing readings next month - although having bloods done this month so hopefully will know more by then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now