Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Planning to concieve after ADs

(8 Posts)
MyriadOfMiracles Fri 28-Feb-14 20:31:03

Hi all
I am planning to have second baby soon. DD is 10mo. Thing is i am on Fluoxetine 20mg. I spoke with the GP today and said chances are I will stay on ADs until September time and then I will ween off them for starting the TTC in Oct (dd will be 18 mo and I will have been on the ads 10 months by then) I should add i feel the ads have helped massively already, but I want to stay on them to ensure I get full benifits. I know people have to use them longer , but my pnd wasn't severely terrible (though bad)
Doctor said this all sounds fine smile
Has anyone else been in similar position of ttc after ads? Did it take long to concieve after ads- can they affect your fertility?
Finally, I am not very open in RL about bein on ads for various reasons. There for I cant really talk to my fam and friends about this. Dh supportive of our plan though obviously!
I know some may judge and say it too soon to have another baby, but i genuinely feel so much better already and only been on them few months- plus I am starting cbt/ counselling soon .

ilovepowerhoop Fri 28-Feb-14 20:32:57

some ad's are ok during pregnancy so dont necessarily need to stop taking them to conceive

Queenofknickers Fri 28-Feb-14 20:35:41

Hi, fluoxetine is one of the ADs with lots of research showing its safe to take during pregnancy and breast feeding. The only effect on conception it would have is the loss of libido that can be a side effect!

MyriadOfMiracles Fri 28-Feb-14 20:38:59

Thanks ladies! I just feel it would be wrong to concieve whilst in ads? Not for everyone, but for me personally i think I would feel guilty getting pregnant whilst still relying on an ad.
Haha, queenofknickers I deffo do have that prob, but not to a major degree so if that is the only possible factor to affect ttc... I should be ok!

MyriadOfMiracles Fri 28-Feb-14 20:40:02

Btw I am not in anway criticising anyone who does ttc on ads. I just mean for me personally I know I would eat myself up about this no end...

onceipopicantstop Fri 28-Feb-14 20:40:38

Hi I was on fluvoxamine (which is the same type of ad as fluoexetine)before ttc no 2. Was taking it for ocd. I stopped it in the December and started ttc in April, was pregnant by June. We waited a few months before ttc to make sure that my symptoms didn't deteriorate off medication. I was fine for the first few months of the pregnancy but my symptoms have really worsened since then so the pregnancy has been difficult - but am due next week so the end is in sight!!
So the ADs didn't seem to affect my fertility at all. My only advice would be to consider having a longer gap between coming off meds and ttc to be sure that you are going to be well enough. Sorry not meaning to be negative but it's harder the second time round if you are unwell and already have a child.
Good luck - hope it all goes well for you smile

MyriadOfMiracles Fri 28-Feb-14 21:29:46

Thanks onceyoupop...
I am thinking if all ok maybe to come off ads around July then. Guess I will have to play by ear. Thanks for sharing your exp. hope things improve for you when dd2 arrives xxx

onceipopicantstop Sat 01-Mar-14 10:04:47

Thank you! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now