Talk

Advanced search

Conception vitamins/improve partners sperm

(10 Posts)
EmilyPinkOrBlue Thu 27-Feb-14 15:08:35

Hiya I am taking folic acid as recommended first day of af today and am wondering about taking some conception vitamins, also wondering if I should get oh to take the men's version. Also going to get him to stop his naughty drink every evening and try and cut down the caffeine. He's going to love me!! lol does anyone else take the all in one tablets? Or have changed their oh's diet?

EmilyPinkOrBlue Thu 27-Feb-14 15:12:11

Also are there any changes I can make to my own diet to help?

naty1 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:37:58

Depends on how long youve been trying.
If not long i wouldnt worry too much, plenty of time to take things etc.
But maybe make aure he has loose boxers not too hot baths. And obviously no smoking.

toots123 Thu 27-Feb-14 17:02:29

Like naty has said, unless you've been trying for a while there isnt any point. If you cut down on alcohol now then it will be a long pregnancy if it takes a while to get pg.

as for your dh unless he is drinking too much then no nrrd for him to cut back on much except if he smokes. Dont thinn alcohol affects fertility too much but someone may come along with more info on that!

Pinkandwhite Thu 27-Feb-14 17:15:33

My partner and I did this before my current pregnancy (now at 15 weeks) this was because I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks last year :-(. I have no idea whether it made any difference but it made us feel better to try to do something. I did tons of research and we even had our hair analysed by the preconception charity foresight.

I discovered that co-enzyme q10, royal jelly, zinc, folic acid, selenium vitamin C and a good multi vitamin were important for me.

I found out that the best vitamins for sperm health and mobility (!) are vitamin e, vitamin c, fish oil, selenium and a good multi vitamin.

We took them for 4 months before conceiving. I have no idea whether it made any difference to us but it's relatively inexpensive so why not?

I've never been a big drinker so I didn't have to change much. I stuck to one or two drinks a week because I read that more than 2 can have an impact (not sure I really believe it but would've tried anything at that point). My DH does like to drink and he cut back quite a lot but was probably still having on average a drink a day.

The other day I read about some very interesting research that has been done on DHEA. Apparently it is fantastic for egg health too.

Pinkandwhite Thu 27-Feb-14 17:19:36

I should have said, we also both changed our diets quite a bit. We bought a juicer and started having daily juices. In the evenings we'd have a big salad using leafy greens (spinach or rocket), tomatoes, carrots etc or we'd have a stir fry using kale, carrot, courgette etc. we were having about 10-15 portions of fruit and veg a day. I also quit my diet coke addiction and my DH switched to decaf coffee.

I know it all sounds extreme but it was following a mc. Probably in stuff you need to do and in reality, I was just unlucky first time around.

EmilyPinkOrBlue Thu 27-Feb-14 20:25:10

Thanks for your info ladies it's only our second month trying to concieve but I want to try the hardest I can and do the right thing smile

EmilyPinkOrBlue Fri 28-Feb-14 06:57:17

Does anyone else take conception vitamins?

Treaclepie19 Fri 28-Feb-14 07:06:11

I take Seven Seas trying for a baby and DH has started taking Wellman conception.

RPopz Fri 28-Feb-14 08:13:51

Taking folic acid and vit D. Hubby was taking selenium but think we need to stock up now. Trying to eat my 5 a day at least, given up alcohol (ahem, except when AF is here) and cut down on caffeine. Also trying to eat less sugar, with limited success!!! OH meant to be doing the same but.... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now